Rabbit with a tick?

newtoid

I was out looking for doves this morning, no luck with that but, I did get a couple of cottontails.

When I skinned them, one of them had an olive-sized lump on his neck. I cut it off and it was moving, I am guessing it was a tick.

I checked the livers on both and they looked healthy - will the meat be ok if it is cooked, or should I throw it out?

Thanks in advance

Rabbit is fine,I have found many Rabbits to have worms.Mostly Jack Rabbits.
They come right off during skinning.Good on you for checking the liver.Here in Az. we
find a few with Liver spots.Just toss Rabbit and wash thoroughly. 🔥

Most of my deer have had ticks, some have been covered in them. If it was a tick you’d be safe.

Was it light brown or was it black? Either way meat should be fine. See them on squirrels and rabbits in early season. If it's black I don't know the proper name, but we call them wolves. Only time I haven't eat one was when it was covered in wolves and looked sickly.

I've killed squirrels before that had them burrowed just under the hide. As soon as the squirrel hits the ground and blood starts pumping, the larva starts wiggling back out of the hole. It is kinda gross.

Actually, I just found one on google and it looks like it was a botfly larva, which I am told also does not affect the meat. Just looks horrible.

newtoid you are correct,I couldn't recall the term..."Larva"but they are harmless to humans.
Unless you eat a whole handfull on a dare...then all bets are off.Ha!,Ha! 🔥

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back