Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Rabbit beagle

Bhill552

Christmas came early for me. It's always been a dream of mine to have a beagle to rabbit hunt with. My grandpa had one when I was a kid and I have some very fond memories of those hunts.

So step one (get a dog) in this adventure is done. Anyone have any training advice or helpful hints. I've read tons but want as much info as possible. Thanks in advance.Resized_20191130_123645.jpeg

Find someone who will let you run your dog with their dog or dogs. What state are you in?

Find someone who will let you run your dog with their dog or dogs. What state are you in?

This is great advice. I always had 2 beagles growing up, an older one and a younger one. When you kill a rabbit, keep the hide. You can drag the hide and create a scent maze and see how the dog works.

its just plain silliness to think that you can’t break good hound and make them a pet as well. A hound can be dead solid and make excellent. I have field champion that is sitting home on the couch right now that will jump and run the ever loving snot out a rabbit and you couldn’t ask for better dog in the house. In a fact almost all my best hounds end up in out house at some point.

its just plain silliness to think that you can’t break good hound and make them a pet as well. A hound can be dead solid and make excellent. I have field champion that is sitting home on the couch right now that will jump and run the ever loving snot out a rabbit and you couldn’t ask for better dog in the house. In a fact almost all my best hounds end up in out house at some point.
They do like to roll in sh-t

Don't make a pet out of it; it can be a hunting dog or a pet, but not both.

To late for that. Its a family pet 50% and hunting dog 50%. If it being a part of my family and getting to play with the kids wife and I hurts her ability to hunt so be it. I get what your saying its just not in the books for a dog of mine.

I have a beagle, she showed great promise and was gamey as could be her first year, constantly running the woods around the house chasing rabbits, got in a fight with a coon, and all sorts of other Fun dog adventures. Then life happened and I ended up in suburbia in a neighborhood where she spends half of her time inside by the couch and the other half on soft closely mown Bermuda grass... Now when you take her to the country to go chasing a rabbit she looks at the briar patches and gives me a quizzical look asking, “you expect me to go through that?” Then she walks around them and won’t hardly leave your feet. Oh well, our neighborhood is full of rabbits and she kills a half dz a year in the back yard much to the dismay of my wife. So I guess my advice is let her be a pet but don’t let her get too soft! Best of luck to you!

I'm pleased for you, but all my dogs have stayed outside, not in my house.

So this thread has taken an odd turn on the inside vs outside thing. Any chance we can bring it back to any help/hints for helping me train her.

We work on obedience everyday primarily coming when called. I also have started her chasing a rabbit foot on a string and hiding it and making her find it with her nose, then lots of treats. Some days shes great some days shes not. Thanks again for any help.

you Need to get her on some rabbit tracks and get her started. Easiest thing to do is walk with her in an area where you can see rabbit, lawn, field ect .... let the rabbit run off then walk her over the track She will in time get a nose full and start gaming on the track. it may take one time or maybe take 20 each Dog and line are different. In any event after she starts keep putting her on rabbit till she is hunting and jumping and running her own. You should also invest in combination tracking and training collar.

I'm pleased for you, but all my dogs have stayed outside, not in my house.

haha this is b.s. I have 2 labs and my grandpa has beagles for rabbit hunting that stay indoors. I'd bet the conditions they hunt through in Lake Superior country are a bit more harsh than the southern US too

to the original poster: I second the tracking collar, a real game changer for my grandpa with his beagles. I also second the advice to finding someone with trained beagles to run the pup with. Either that or find tracks that you know are fresh and get the pup started on those. When we hunted it always seemed that the damp, warmer winter days made for much easier tracking/scenting conditions for the beagles than the cold, dry days

haha this is b.s. I have 2 labs and my grandpa has beagles for rabbit hunting that stay indoors. I'd bet the conditions they hunt through in Lake Superior country are a bit more harsh than the southern US too
I don't know why you're calling B.S. on my statement so I'll try to simplify it for you. I don't allow ANY dogs in my house for any reason; period. You can sleep with yours if you like, I couldn't care less. Conditions have nothing to do with my choice.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chughes
Back