Quite a buck

The story says they left it overnight. I’d bet some coyotes chewed on it a bit.
Crazy buck for sure.

The story says they left it overnight. I’d bet some coyotes chewed on it a bit.
Crazy buck for sure.
Why would they leave it over night? Seems like a waste of game thing to me if the coyotes chewed on it. Plus, after leaving it all night, the first thing you do is take pictures instead of gutting or processing? Not very sportsman like in my opinion....

Why would they leave it over night? Seems like a waste of game thing to me if the coyotes chewed on it. Plus, after leaving it all night, the first thing you do is take pictures instead of gutting or processing? Not very sportsman like in my opinion....

The article states they weren’t sure about where the shot hit and it was evening so they waited until the morning.
I’ve been involved in 1 overnight buck kill and I’ll admit that when we found the buck at first light the next morning. We spent a few minutes to take pictures and then quartered it and packed it out.

I doubt taking an extra five minutes or whatever it was to take pictures would've made much difference. Quite a specimen.

I am going soft. I actually feel a bit of pity for that buck and what it must be like dealing with that antler growth obscuring vision and all. I think too that I am
a bit of a skeptic of summer hunting for deer. I hope all meat was salvaged. Would have like to seen this buck with his clean winter coat and a gleam in his eye. Congrats to the hunter, and hopefully a proper trophy mount is still possible to honor the deer.

Yeah I am definitely going soft…

Last edited:
Isn’t a rack like that a result of surviving EHD? I’ve seen pictures and video before of mule deer that look similar to that after having EHD. Not sure if Utah has EHD or not. I did not read the article.

Back