Quick Wyo Sheep Hunt

• Thread starter Deleted member 18333
  • Start date
Just read an article about this hunt unit. They issued 16 ewe tags and only 7 hunters tagged out. May issue more tags for 2023 and extend the dates. I think a bunch of hunters assumed they could get this hunt done closer to the road. Extending the date may help that assumption be more accurate. Low harvest success is not from lack of targets. Herd is again approaching historic highs.

Just read an article about this hunt unit. They issued 16 ewe tags and only 7 hunters tagged out. May issue more tags for 2023 and extend the dates. I think a bunch of hunters assumed they could get this hunt done closer to the road. Extending the date may help that assumption be more accurate. Low harvest success is not from lack of targets. Herd is again approaching historic highs.

sooooooo you're saying i should apply for one of them ewe tags?

and you'll take me in?

pizza on me 😁

yeesh, just looked, i didn't realize ewe/lamb tags were reduced price and actually affordable for an NR. that seems criminal.

i told my wife last night i need to start applying for wyoming ewe tags. cause why the hell not? they're not that expensive and with random odds might as well.

she did a pretty impressive eye roll in conjunction with a loud sigh and an "oh gosh" and walked out of the room.

i interpreted that as permission to apply!

Nice report mulecreek. Tagging along with a NR confirms you have a big heart!
I love the way you guys made it into a sheep hunt and not a "ewe shoot"!
Beautiful country. I could see the Teton's on my "littlebighorn" ram hunt as well, but that was long ago.
Thanks for the post.

Nice report mulecreek. Tagging along with a NR confirms you have a big heart!
I love the way you guys made it into a sheep hunt and not a "ewe shoot"!
Beautiful country. I could see the Teton's on my "littlebighorn" ram hunt as well, but that was long ago.
Thanks for the post.
Truth be told, its a bit selfish on my part. I get to go along on a fun hunt, in some of the coolest country around, a with a couple of nice guys. They get stuck with me. Easy to see who gets the better end of that deal.

The hunter deserves all the credit for making this a hunt. He had everything figured out and had done his homework well. From the short time we spent together I gathered that he is person that takes advantage of what the States offer a non-resident hunter. He seems to pick less sought after tags either because of low populations, tough physical access, lower trophy potential, or a combination of these. As such he has hunted sheep multiple times in multiple states. After this hunt he was off to another place for moose. His buddy had just finished up a MD hunt, where he took a great buck. I think they even had antelope tags as well. Never once heard a complaint about how States screw over the NR hunter. Never a complaint about cost of tags or availability. Just took advantage of what the States offered and then put in the work.

I think there is a lesson in there for a bunch of us.

Truth be told, its a bit selfish on my part. I get to go along on a fun hunt, in some of the coolest country around, a with a couple of nice guys. They get stuck with me. Easy to see who gets the better end of that deal.

The hunter deserves all the credit for making this a hunt. He had everything figured out and had done his homework well. From the short time we spent together I gathered that he is person that takes advantage of what the States offer a non-resident hunter. He seems to pick less sought after tags either because of low populations, tough physical access, lower trophy potential, or a combination of these. As such he has hunted sheep multiple times in multiple states. After this hunt he was off to another place for moose. His buddy had just finished up a MD hunt, where he took a great buck. I think they even had antelope tags as well. Never once heard a complaint about how States screw over the NR hunter. Never a complaint about cost of tags or availability. Just took advantage of what the States offered and then put in the work.

I think there is a lesson in there for a bunch of us.
Well you still have a big heart, even if there were some selfish motives.
It's amazing how much we hunters have in common, once we are around the same campfire...NR or otherwise. Obviously he wasn't trying to take advantage of you or the system, (which some "slugs" would do) but I'm sure you figured that out well in advance of showing up. It sounds like they were awesome companions.
For sure there are lessons for all NR's when it comes to hunting out of state. I for one appreciate every opportunity I am blessed with to hunt beyond my home borders. It's pretty selfish for someone to complain about chances to hunt as a NR. After all we are just guests and every state has the right to set the rules. I'm just glad I still get a chance to play.
Good on you mulecreek. I love your posts

i told my wife last night i need to start applying for wyoming ewe tags. cause why the hell not? they're not that expensive and with random odds might as well.

she did a pretty impressive eye roll in conjunction with a loud sigh and an "oh gosh" and walked out of the room.

i interpreted that as permission to apply!
I have a B&C mountain goat on the wall because of how I interpreted and responded to “I don’t think you should, but do whatever you want.” 😬

Back