Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

quick question on brass

duckhead59

have a quick question...other than appearance, is it necessary or any reason to tumble once fired brass before f/l resizing and reloading it? :confused:
thanks!

Nope - didn't tumble it for years when I first started. We did clean it once in a while in warm water with dish soap, rinsed it off and then dried it off in the oven on low wiht the door cracked open. We made sure not to let the brass get too hot.

If too dirty, it could wear on your dies.

I like clean brass. If it looks pretty clean it isn't that big a deal.

I have done a lot of competitive shooting and after a hundred rounds through the chamber brass can get pretty dirty. For those rounds I always tumbled clean.

If your not shooting that many rounds through a clean rifle and using a powder that is pretty clean then your brass won't be too bad. Sometimes it the stuff you don't see though and when you lube you brass for resizing all of a sudden you have this black goo all over.

Do you not have a tumbler?

If you have a tumbler then I would go ahead and use it.

calif.hunter and southwind...you've eased my mind...thanks for the help

southwind...its the only thing I dont have yet...will be adding...but my 358 brass is new so I f/l resized & its real clean. any powders suggestions for the 358? I'm going to try some faster powders, imr 4198 as a friend has some and trying to decide between rl-7/w748/aa2015 for another test powder(s). different co's list different start and max for same combos?...looked over so much data from various companies that I'm getting vertigo! btw...I'm shooting it thru a new BLR not an old rifle...using 200 gr hornady psp, new ww brass and cci lr primers...may try some Barnes 200 gr triple shocks too.

all my 7mm rem mag brass is once shot (unfortunatly thru 3 different guns) so I will f/l resize it.

First off I do not have a 358 but that should be a lot of fun in that BLR format.

But, my approach is on any new rifle is to do my research like you have done and then buy a pound of the 3 or four powders you have narrowed it down to as well as several different bullets and start developing loads. It is a lot more work but it can help you find which load your rifle likes best.

Also, remember that more than likely you will find your most accurate load before you reach max levels. So, start low and work up. I have very seldom found max loads to be the most accurate.

If you can find a forum or find anyone that has a 358 in a blr then that may help you narrow your search some.

Make sure you use good barrel break in procedures because this will ultimately help you with accuracy and cleaning.

Good luck and have fun.

southwind...thanks again...thats good advise. I have gotten some feed back here and on several reloaders forums...so with that and my research I do have some good starting points. I am going to do like you said and get a couple of powders/bullets to work up and see what the gun shoots. since the BLR has a 20" barrel I've got some good start info and also going to use quicker burning powders.
I've already planned my barrel break in...going to use low to mid range loads w/hornady 200 gr psp's...cheap and easy to shoot the break in process.
I'm thinking the blr in the 358 will be a fun and very functional gun...a ton of knock down, low muzzle blast compared to my mag and short/quick handling...I like the leveraction...lol. I'll let you know how it goes.
BTW...you gonna be chasin some of those huge KS whitetails this fall? I went on a pheasant hunt and to pick up my dog several years ago in central western KS...saw some huge whitetail...and some great mulies too...I want to get back down there and try to take a mulie!
Thanks again!

I have used mainly W-748 and H-4895 in my .358 bolt action. I have 8-lbs of TAC to use in it any my .223, but haven;t tried the loads yet. I stick to the 225 gr bullets, though I shoot up a bunch of 200 gr Corelokts and Hornady's, just playing around. Faster powders like IMR-3031, etc may work better with the 200 gr bullets, too.

Clean brass is a lot easier on reloading dies. Doesn't foul the decapping pin and doesn't add a lot of residue to the load.

DH59,

You bet I'll be chasing them. The pheasant crop is looking real good for this year too.

Our Mule deer herd has suffered and has been on a steady decline. The KDWP has made it particularly hard for non-res to get a tag via having to have a mule deer stamp on top of your tag making it a $420.00 some odd dollar affair.

I hunt the SE portion of the state for whitetail but want to get back out west one of these years on Mule Deer. I have 4 preference points so could get a tag about anytime I want one. I just want to see the herd get a little healthier.

southwind...I was told KS gives out landowner permits that it is legal for them to sell to out of state hunters...do you know if that is the case?

It used to be but that was changed a couple years ago. It really caused a lot of problems and mostly because legislatures were involved in big game management and believe me the two don't mix.

southwind...I agree with you on that one.
I'm from MO originally...MO Dept of Conservation is a real jewel...operates completely seperate from legislature and its funding isnt/cant be 'tinkered' with by the legislature. also many years ago the people of MO voted in a statewide 1/8th of 1% sales tax that goes straight to the MDC...it's made them 'wealthy' allowed them to do things other states just cant. Heck, couldnt get something like that passed these days no matter what the benefit.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back