Questions about bugling and wolves

I recall reading an article or two where the author believed that the large increase in archery hunters interacting with elk during the rut was causing bulls to adapt or "learn" to be very wary of responding to or coming in to elk calls.

I have noticed this myself in areas that I hunt. Over the years a few drainages that I hunt have seen a significant increase in archery hunters. Elk numbers in these areas appear to be similar, but the elk often respond to calling by fleeing the area, and when they do come in, it is very cautiously and silent. Some of these areas have wolves, and some don't.

The Missouri Breaks is a good example of an area where a large number of hunters has, IMO, caused a significant change in elk rutting behavior. From my observations in that area, the bulls bugle way less than in less pressured areas and very rarely respond positively to calling. There are no, or at least an insignificant amount of wolves in the breaks. I would guess that this is more of a learned behavior than anything genetic.

I also recall an article, I believe was written by Chuck Adams in Bugle Magazine, about how he thinks that bulls and bucks with a diminished sex drive have a better chance of growing record book sized racks. From what I remember his premise was that if, for whatever reason (hormone issues, lack of testosterone, non functioning reproductive system ect), a male does not participate in the rut, that animal will expend much less energy and enter the winter stronger and healthier. Not participating in the rut also results in, much less exposure to injury or death by the hands of other males, hunters and predators. These animals never feel the need to leave their "safe" area during hunting season and thus many are never even seen by a hunter and die of natural causes. Doesn't really pertain to your question, but I thought it an interesting concept.

Elk are very smart adaptable.IMHO One of their traits of evolutionary proccess I guess.
Elk around these parts will pretty much shut down if bugled too usually now.
Not even 6 yrs ago they would reply even to my bugles....LOL

Mature elk can teach their offspring a behavior (not to respond to bugling) but that is not necessarily a change in their genetic make up. Back in the 60's, I swear that you could be 10 feet off the ground in a tree stand and deer would never look up there. Now, I think that you have to be 20-30 feet up a tree to evade discovery. I think that this behavior was taught at first but now is a genetically based behavior (also could have something to do with the popularity of calling to deer and being busted). Just my ideas, non-scientifically supported.

I'm no biologist, but I agree it would take longer for the bulls to change bugling patterns to reflect wolf presence, especially since wolves and elk have been bugling/howling side by side for thousands and thousands of years. Now if predation (human and non-human combined) changed the population structure, age classes, cow/bull ratios, etc., then I think you would hear less bugling. And of course if there are fewer elk, there will be fewer bugles, all totaled.

I think you could also make the argument that if there were fewer elk, but more food per elk, then remaining bulls could grow bigger antlers, providing of course they survive long enough to grow to their potential. Lots of places, where a species is on the upswing, you see bigger males. IMO it's too early to say if the northern herd has hit bottom.

There is a whole pile of opinions worth exactly what you paid for them. And I just broke my personal rule against ever talking about wolves in public.

I certainly am not a biologist but I remember one instance at camp in the Gros Ventre range in Wyoming. Right around sunset the bulls started bugling and went pretty much all night (even keeping us up at times). After awhile, we heard wolves in the distance start to howl like crazy and as soon as that happened the bulls shut up for at least an hour. We didn't hear the wolves again and eventually the bulls started bugling again. Seems like from this one instance they definitely know what the wolves are up to. Very inconclusive but pretty cool experience. In case you wondering we did shoot a bull the next morning!

I think theat hit the nail on the head. It's the higher number of archery hunters that change elk behavior. I've hunted areas where there were few hunters and it was like hunting in Yellowstone Park. Other areas that had lots of pressure, hard to get a peep out of the bulls.

No different than duck hunting, pressured ducks are much harder to decoy in and kill. The late season birds on a hard to access parcel are still plenty stupid.

wolf/Elk

Plenty of good wolf/elk info out there. Read RMEF, Eastmans, recent post here on HT, from Idaho f& g about numbers of wolf, packs, breading pairs...etc. I started hunting ID 2008 all the locals said elk don't talk anymore. Had my bull on the ground 3.5 hrs into my 1st ID hunt, with a cow call & he was screaming all the way to bow range!!

I think elk just don't like people. They know wolves, at least in NW MT, wolves were never gone, the elk have always had run ins with them, they will tolerate them over people, IMHO.

My best spot, where I have taken the most elk, I have never, ever heard a single peep from a bull. At least that I could confirm was a bull, and not some guy. Do they still rut? Yes. Do they chase? Absolutely. Can you call them in? Oh yes. It just makes for some dang dull days. It isn't near as fun as hiking into the south fork or the middle fork, back in some basin where there are 4 or 5 bulls screamin back and forth unsolicited! But by gosh, biology still takes over, and I try to take advantage.

Back