NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Question

over 3 or 4 posts?????????
eek.gif

more like 300 or 400
biggrin.gif

I dont have that much time tonight
wink.gif

I thought we were talking about todays day and age? I hate the fact that it has come to having to pay to hunt! Try and knock on a ranchers door in the west to gain permission to hunt! Your probably not going to do to well unless you are luckier than me. Bottom line is, I still hunt public land, even prefer to hunt public land to keep my cost minimal! But, if I have the opportunity to hunt a good piece of private land for a reasonable price with decent critters and I can afford it, I'm going for it! I can't afford it every year, but I'm jumping on the chance while I can!! Those that don't want to see hunting come to that (Paying) or go to the rich, well look around!! It's pretty much already gone to it! At least the places I've hunted and intend to hunt! The sad part is it's probably only gonna get worse! The way I see it I'm jumping on the band wagon and doing what I can NOW, Because in a few years I probably won't be able to hunt anywhere out west but on public land!! And maybe not even that, the way tag prices keep going up! I have nothing against public land hunting, I feel as americans we should be thankful we have the land!! I will hunt public land as my first choice first and foremost, but, it's hard to pass up a crack at a good ranch! Marlands did mention some good facts about public land hunting though! I miss the days when I was younger when you could walk up to a ranch or farm and aquire permission to hunt!! All you see here in the east is POSTED!!!!!!!!!!!!

ElkhntinmD

WELL HELL.. Since you guys aren't going to Pay.. Looks like the Price just went down and I can Hunt for CHEAPER !! YEEhaw !!!
wink.gif

Like I said, I'd pay and hunt. You left it way open though... "20-21000" "bunch of critters"... that could mean Alot of things ....

But if the Price was Right, I'd PAy, I don't get why not, Sure, I've hunted hard for critters, REAL hard, But if there was some Land locked up and Elk moving through And I had Access to it... Not only would I pay a small sum to Access it, I'd be a fool not too.....

MAybe I'm missing this "Im too good to pay for a lease" Idea ? I figure If I don't, Someone else would.... Liek an Outfitter or Buzz locking it up so Only him and His buddies can hunt
smile.gif
Just becasue I pay for a piece of land doesn't mean the world will go that way... If I don't pay, And No-one else pays, that land won't be hunted... RIGHT ? I'm guessing the Owner justwon;t open it up for Free because no-one paid for a few years.. And Every year someone Doesn't pay...that land will get better and Better hunting... And the Price will go up....

Assuming I could afford the price, I would pay. I wouldn't like it if I had to pay to have any decent hunting like many do back east but to be the only person hunting a piece of land that big loaded with game. You bet I would pay. My favorte hunts are the ones that I can go the whole hunt without seeing another person. Those hunts are getting fewer and farther between.

Thanks guys.... maybe I need to rethink some things. I have an option to buy out another neighbor but about the only thing I'd really want to do with it is a hunting place but I need to see if the market is enough to pay its own taxes and crap.

If I were buying in as an investor(1% ownership but equal cut of taxes), helping to pay the taxes, and upkeep, YES, but not to pay just for a day of hunting.

I would bet that many people here would buy in, like a time share, to pay taxes and up keep expenses. I think something like that would be real interesting to the nonresident hunter/members.

Let me embellish this make beleive situation a bit more. Let's say that it's all private land in Arizona. It's the only land for several miles in any direction that is improved to the point where it has water. So that means it's where the majority of the critters are. Now you've found this oasis in the middle of the desert and you can hunt there. Remember everything in Arizona is by draw. No draw no hunt. Since everyone knows that they can't hunt this property, no one applies for this hunt unit.

Now, you have a great chance of being the only one drawn for this unit, you have exclusive access to the only property with water and game..... What's the answer now??

cool.gif

LA I can put you in touch with a consultant here in UT that works all over that's had great success with this kind of thing in the past. Good luck and let me know if I can help.

Being from out of state for most elk hunts, with limited time to do any scouting, I would and often do pay for a trespass fee or landowner's tag or what have you. Last year, we hunted a "little" chunk of public land in New Mexico that we found, which is surrounded by private property. We only found it because we used landowner tags the year before... now I don't have to pay.
biggrin.gif

Conversely, the public land hunting in a lot of California either sucks or is non-existent. A lot of the good hunting is at least a day's drive away...remember that California is a long state, being almost half of the west coast, with "most of the good hunting" in the north half. The public land in So Cal is like a shooting gallery on opening day - I don't go out then.

Lostagain, you personally think fee hunting is worse than game farming, yet you are considering purchasing a place just for this purpose?

Not that I have anything against what you are considering doing... but it seems you are really quick to sell out on the personal values you claim to have.

Well green, Yes I place a game farm hunt with a guided, or a fee ranch hunt, that's because I don't see much morally wrong with a game farm. There have been privately owned in MT for many decades now, many just b/c the owner wanted the novelty of them. I was just trying to guage the response to the people to see how the market was to this. I already know that many of them adhore the thought of a game farm but would more than willing to fork out so cash for a ranch hunt.

Lost, don't you see the difference? In one, you are paying to shoot domestic animals, in the other, you are paying to hunt wild animals, that may or may not be there. There is no guarantee when you are paying an access fee that you are going to kill an animal, like there is with a game farm hunt (otherwise known as a canned hunt)

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back