MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Question regarding Browning Hells Canyon Long Range Rifle Stock

Badger_55

I have noticed it since I bought it, and though I am plenty happy on how it is shooting comparing it from my Browning BLR in Long distance shooting but I am wondering if it could be better. Anyways, the stock along the barrel seems to have more space between it on the right side vs on the left side it is almost touching the barrel. I can still run a dollar bill to the action but it doesn't take much torgue to find the stock touching the barrel on that left side. Is there a way I can even this space up or is it just a factory blem that happens? Also the bigger question is should I even fix this? Can it affect my down range accuracy. I was good out to 500yds last year but always looking to be better.
Thanks

If it's not touching, it's not effecting your shot, and if you are torquing your rifle enough to make it touch, then you have some other shooting mechanics issues that need to be addressed. I understand it bothering you, a barrel channel that isn't even would drive my OCD into overdrive, but if you are good to 500 my feeling is that it's not effecting your accuracy.

You can use sandpaper wrapped around a socket of the appropriate size to sand the barrel channel a bit. The barrel should have some free float on both sides IMO.

Many times this can be addressed by bedding the recoil lug while an appropriate thickness of tape wrapped on the barrel, just in front of the chamber, holds it all centered.
It doesn't take much compound to hold it where it belongs.

It could be an issue if the stock can easily flex to cause it to touch the barrel.
Could cause a miss if laying in odd position for a shot, that pushes on the side of the stock. Like shooting steep down hill while resting on a pack on rocky uneven terrain.
I wouldn't be able to let it ride like that.

Yeah so the duratouch stock is nice, I do like how tacky it is however there is a fair amount of flex in it especially around the barrel. I was wondering with the vibrations that roll down the barrel and the uneven space that exists on the left side would that mess with my bullet travel and accuracy? I like some of the ideas above, I have thought about taking the stock off and trimming it back a touch. I sure doesnt take much pressure to move that stock into the barrel on the left side. I have had a few shots get pushed to the right a bit that left me wondering what I did different. Then I would follow up with 2 perfect shots, then I would send one right again, the perfect height just straight right even 6-10"'s.

There is nothing structurally special about that stock over, it is the same used on cheap x-bolts, its a shame they didn't put a little extra into the stock for strength/stiffness. If the barrel isn't touching you will be fine.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back