Question on vld in 7-08

Ok, bad choice of words , does the berger not have a higher BC therefore retain more energy and be less effected by wind? I realize this difference may be trivial to some at say 600 yards which is the max distance we would shoot a animal. I don't doubt either of the bullets capabilities, I have taken game with both bullets with no problems. Accubonds are hard to find in 140 gr .284

I have only been reloading for 2 years and this is more of a hobby than anything.

If Bergers are what you want, then go for it, but I doubt at 600 yards the BC difference is even noticeable. It will not be apparent unless you go well past that imo. If you can find them, the Hornady ELD-X may be a good choice, too. I don't think that they are quite as frangible as the Bergers for the most part. A friend was out here on my range testing them for a 6.5x55AI and they were very accurate.

At what range/vel? I assume you are talking meat loss. I have heard this a lot just yet to experience, everything we have shot with them was very close or relatively far.

I've shot around six elk with them. Never had a single one take more than five steps. The VLD works. I'm just not a fan of a bullet designed to blow into a million pieces. Again, they worked just fine. All of my shots on elk were on broadside and standing elk.
Antelope and deer.... I'll I can say is "wow." Not much to complain about concerning meat loss as I tend to shoot behind the shoulder. The devastation on those smaller animals was impressive.
With all that said, there are better bullets. Buzz has me convinced to give Accubonds another visit after a disasterous outing with a friends rifle on an elk several years ago. I've since learned the problems with that batch have been corrected. So far they are shooting bug holes out of my WSM. Loading for my kids 08 next week.

I'm shooting a Stevens 200 in 7mm-08AI (I know, Ackley never worked with the 7mm-08, it's easier to say than "Improved, 40 degree"...).
Using Reloder 17 with a slightly lower than 7mm-08 Max loading, and the bullet seated to within 0.005" of the lands I'm getting 0.72" consistent groups at 100 yards, with the Berger 140gr vld hunting.
Shot a 1.5" group at 300 last week... Yes, I have a witness.. lol
With Reloder 17 I'm getting 2916 fps with the chrono at 15 feet.

A lot of poeple are saying the Nosler ABLR likes a lot of jump. My experience so far is quite the opposite.

Ok, bad choice of words , does the berger not have a higher BC therefore retain more energy and be less effected by wind? I realize this difference may be trivial to some at say 600 yards which is the max distance we would shoot a animal. I don't doubt either of the bullets capabilities, I have taken game with both bullets with no problems. Accubonds are hard to find in 140 gr .284

I have only been reloading for 2 years and this is more of a hobby than anything.

They're on backorder, but Cabela's has a good sale on Accubonds. Or you can get some 140 grain Partitions from Shootersproshop.com.

Lots of bullets will work, but use what you feel like using. Bergers are just fine, and in my experience, very accurate. A 140 grain Berger out of my 270 Win. worked just fine on a bighorn sheep two years ago at 280 yards. Also have killed a few deer and a few antelope in Wyoming with the same load. I have a couple boxes of Accubonds sitting here ready to load, but I've got the Bergers loaded up and until I run out, that's what I'll be using. I can't imagine many bullets better for antelope hunting than the Bergers. Accurate, high BC's open up reliably at extended ranges. I sure wouldn't trade the Bergers for Accubonds for an antelope hunt. I will say it's not a bullet I would trust on elk, although I've heard of people killing elk with them just fine. But for elk I'll be going with the Accubonds, or maybe a Barnes.

I think for Elk, I might try the 168gr. Berger VLD hunting. Would probably hold together a little better than the 140gr. out of a 7mm-08.
And like the OP, I couldn't get the regular Accubonds to group for nothing.
For Antelope you may want to try the Nosler Ballistic tips, or Silver tips for that matter, or the Hornady SST. (although in my experience the Ballistic Tip groups a little tighter at 300+).
I may have to load up some of the 150gr Accubond LR's and see how they do further out..

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back