Yeti GOBOX Collection

Question of the day

Mudranger1

To all the seasoned veterans out there, are elk farther away then they sound? This was our first real experience this year hunting elk and we had a great time. Looking back and reflecting it now appears that the elk we thought were oh so close might have been a little bit farther away. Any thoughts?

terrain

My opinion is- you just never know. I have harvested deer less than 150 yards from co-hunters who never heard a shot due to the fact the hill was a large, round sidehill. I have heard other hunters fire a shot (from what seemed right under my feet) yet they were 2 mile away due due to the straight flat sides of the canyon we were hunting. I think the amount of trees-vegetation can also affect perceived distances.
All in all, I would say that an elk in heavy timber sounds FURTHER than it is while an elk in the open sounds CLOSER than it is.
Some spring or early fall walk with your friends in your hunting area and bugle to each other-and cow call. You may be surprised by what you find.

I will tell you from experience that an elk will abide by the rule of 3s. They will hear you 3 times, see you twice and only smell you once before they take off. We got busted by a herd of about 75 last saturday yet they still came walking our way.....or better yet pushed our way by a 320 class 6x6. By the time he came by the whole herd was running at full speed. If you hear them then you should persue them unlsee you are upwind from them if possible.

The short answer is yes.
Elk can be surprisingly loud. The first time you hear a bull bugle, up close, it's amazing how much volume they can produce. Just hearing it on a DVD doesn't do it justice.
Because of this, it's easy to mistake a bull for being close when he's really a half mile away.

My opinion is- you just never know. I have harvested deer less than 150 yards from co-hunters who never heard a shot due to the fact the hill was a large, round sidehill. I have heard other hunters fire a shot (from what seemed right under my feet) yet they were 2 mile away due due to the straight flat sides of the canyon we were hunting. I think the amount of trees-vegetation can also affect perceived distances.
All in all, I would say that an elk in heavy timber sounds FURTHER than it is while an elk in the open sounds CLOSER than it is.
Some spring or early fall walk with your friends in your hunting area and bugle to each other-and cow call. You may be surprised by what you find.

........amen.

Very true with what is being said! You have to try n listen n try to decide which way he is facing, does he have cow, bedded, etc. I even had a couple of bulls this year that I know were 40 yrds or less and they bugles away, then spun around and tried to get my wind. The first couple got away with it but the third one didn't! Good luck.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back