Question for Swarovski spotting scope users

Paul in Idaho

Do you use your Swaro spotter at max magnification at distances over 2 miles?

If so, is the view crisp?

I have only used scopes in the mid- and low price ranges, and have found that at longer distances the image gets distorted as I zoom in. If the Swaro glass provides a clear view without eyestrain at the distances I need, I'll start saving money to buy one.

I have a STS 65 with the 25-50 wide angle lense. I very rarely, if ever end up going full magnification on it. I think you’d have to have a rock solid base and zero wind to get a clear view at 2 miles away, which is hardly ever the case for me while hunting. IMO, at 2 miles you’d be able to tell if a deer was a buck or an elk was a bull, but it’d be difficult to actually be able to count points.
I thoroughly enjoy mine though, have zero regrets with the purchase. Good luck!

I’m certainly not counting inches on 60x with my 65 HD at extreme range. But it can usually help me enough to make a decision as to whether I need to get closer or not. The conditions, mirage and lighting dictate everything. But I can guarantee the image distorts less at 60x with a Swaro vs. mid/low grade glass.

There is no comparison to mid range glass to swaro or any of the big guys, at long range. My FIL has an 80mm vortex Viper, and its like looking through a toilet paper tube compared to my Zeiss. My buddy has the older 80mm swaro, and its very comparable to my scope close and far at 56x vs 60x. I'd shop for a used one, after christmas is usually the time to buy. People are unloading to pay bills and taxes...

I have an older 80mm Swaro STS. Gets a solid image at full magnification. Lighting always plays a factor, but if anything gets me, a lot of times it’ll be the heat waves.
I’d love to afford the Swaro 115mm 😄.

I have a zeiss 85mm and a swaro 65mm and I pack the swaro 65mm every time I go out. For what you lose in light gathering it’s worth the less weight. I used to contemplate packing a spotting scope now it never leaves my pack. Wind and heat waves always limit every scope.

Often,
spotting moose, bears, caribou, and other hunters. This year we had guys three miles out, we could see spotting with their scopes with coffee mugs in hand. Not crisp, but clear. A moose over a mile away this year, confirmed legal.

Heat distortion and wind effect 60x clarity the most

Attachments

• E554687A-A92E-4E59-B67B-70CB91837C64.jpeg
    E554687A-A92E-4E59-B67B-70CB91837C64.jpeg
    523.7 KB · Views: 54
  • BF48E616-B267-47AA-887B-61EB03BAF031.jpeg
    BF48E616-B267-47AA-887B-61EB03BAF031.jpeg
    964.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 5B83B79A-B81E-4620-89E9-5F29E68B9A63.jpeg
    5B83B79A-B81E-4620-89E9-5F29E68B9A63.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 53

If so, is the view crisp?

I have only used scopes in the mid- and low price ranges, and have found that at longer distances the image gets distorted as I zoom in. If the Swaro glass provides a clear view without eyestrain at the distances I need, I'll start saving money to buy one.
On a clear night I can see the rings of Saturn on 50x which is 980 million miles away.

On a clear night I can see the rings of Saturn on 50x which is 980 million miles away.
You should be able to see Jupiter's moons too when the timing is right.

For what it's worth, I sold my Swaro HD and bought a Kowa 883. When compared side-by-side at Antelope Island watching deer one night, the other guys Kowa was better than my Swaro... so I made the switch. I still have Swaro binos and rifle scopes, but Kowa won the spotting scope battle in my opinion.

To answer the initial question, no scope can correct for atmospheric error. If the light or air is bad, it's just what it is. It's rare to be on max power in the middle of a hot day in my experience.

For what it's worth, I sold my Swaro HD and bought a Kowa 883. When compared side-by-side at Antelope Island watching deer one night, the other guys Kowa was better than my Swaro... so I made the switch. I still have Swaro binos and rifle scopes, but Kowa won the spotting scope battle in my opinion.

To answer the initial question, no scope can correct for atmospheric error. If the light or air is bad, it's just what it is. It's rare to be on max power in the middle of a hot day in my experience.
Absolutely. Actually I can see the moons through my 10x42 vortex vipers, and as you know it’s very obvious that they are in the same plane and orbiting the planet. With the scope I can barely make out the cloud bands on Jupiter.

For those who want to see for themselves, Jupiter is the brightest object you see to the south in the evening. It is up about 45 degrees from horizon. Saturn is the fainter golden object to the left of it. If you continue along that line you will see an orangish bright star. That is Mars, which isn’t that interesting to look at.

Last edited:
Has anyone used the T2 adapter on their Swaro?
I had a T2 with the TLS-APO to my DSLR. It really wasn't that impressive. I think a semi-decent lens would be better on the camera and a phone adapter is better on the scope. I sold the TLS-APO.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back