Question for Bear Hunters

MTHunter1321

Having grown up in Montana and hunting deer and elk, I’ve never hunted bear. Never really had the urge to as I’ve never had the meat before. I’m curious, what drives hunters to bear hunt, specifically spring bear? I’m obviously not opposed to it, but just curious as to what motivates people to take days/week off to go spring bear hunt? The bear rug would be cool, but am I missing out on the meat or anything? To me it just seems like taking a rifle for a hike and then picking ticks out of every known and unknown orifice. I’ll do crazy stuff for an elk or deer, but tell me what I’m missing when it comes to bear!

Can only speak for myself; first big game hunt each year (I usually combine in some fishing) so I’m more than ready to get out of the house, also combines with some shed hunting and fall hunt planning as I go through an area, helps walk off the winter lard, enjoy the hills a bit before the summer heat comes in, and I like bear meat!

Excuse to get in better physical shape in the spring, kick off to outdoor recreation season after a few relatively boring late winter months, for a self-guided DIY NR a better chance of killing a bear compared to the fall, don’t have to navigate a complicated tag allocation system to hunt ID or MT. In talking with my wife about fall hunting plans it is a tangle of contingencies on dates, depending mostly on what I’ll draw - drives her nuts.

First off.
I do eat the meat, it sucks but what can you do?
It is great fun struggling through 5 feet of snow leaving your truck stuck up to the doors in said snow.
To go sit in some clearing with a spotting scope and freezing your A$$ off.
And not see anything but the fog from your breath.
I have yet to miss a season in 50 years...:poop:

Meats super good in sausage and brats, and there is something spiritually humbling about being able to pet- and stare into the eyes of a big ass predator.. i don’t get emotional over killing deer elk coyotes or anything, but the bear was trippy.. I didn’t buy a tag this year because of the feeling i had from last year.. it’s really something. Get at least one in your life, in my opinion! Obviously it’s good to get off the fresh tracks + and get out to exercise too lol

Bruh's got "Hunter" in their username on a hunting forum but literally questions North American big game hunting?

I hunt bear because I can, I enjoy it and they taste better than the beef I would otherwise have to pay for.

:confused:
Not questioning it at all. Just curious what drives those that hunt bears to do it. I’ve just never had the desire to do it. Just like I have no desire to go hunt Africa. Just me though. Don’t think that by not hunting bears makes me any less of a “Hunter.” If it does, guess I’m not as “hardcore” as you are Sask.

Challenge to hunt a big bear. I’ll run baits and hunt all spring and often get one chance at my target bear

Not questioning it at all. Just curious what drives those that hunt bears to do it. I’ve just never had the desire to do it. Just like I have no desire to go hunt Africa. Just me though. Don’t think that by not hunting bears makes me any less of a “Hunter.” If it does, guess I’m not as “hardcore” as you are Sask.

I'm pretty far from hardcore, but ok.

Growing up in MT hunting deer and elk, did you see bears often? I grew up here hunting deer and elk and before actively hunting a bear, I only had ever seen 2 black bears in the wild- one being outside of our vehicles out and about the other crossing the road while we drove.. I think not knowing how many were really out there watching me from trees and shit was an allure too.. you don’t see them like you see deer and elk if you’re not REALLY trying. And who is, if not hunters? Most People avidly AVOID bears; not look for them. Who’s the Apex…..?

Having grown up in Montana and hunting deer and elk, I’ve never hunted bear. Never really had the urge to as I’ve never had the meat before. I’m curious, what drives hunters to bear hunt, specifically spring bear? I’m obviously not opposed to it, but just curious as to what motivates people to take days/week off to go spring bear hunt? The bear rug would be cool, but am I missing out on the meat or anything? To me it just seems like taking a rifle for a hike and then picking ticks out of every known and unknown orifice. I’ll do crazy stuff for an elk or deer, but tell me what I’m missing when it comes to bear!
Great question, I started spring bear hunting 3 years ago and it's becoming one of my favorite hunts of the year. Getting out in the mountains that time of year is a very different experience, it extends my hunting season, the hide is awesome and the meat it next level!

Bear hunting is my absolute favorite. Would give up all other hunts if forced to choose between them and bear hunting.

Apart from tribal lands, we don't have spring bear hunting in New England, so its fall-only for me. Its also mostly sit-on-your-ass-and-wait hunting in the dense forests up here, hound hunting excepted.

I don't get the joy of glassing and stalking like you westerners do, but there is a unique thrill to lying in wait when that big bear comes in only a few yards away. Can you remain undetected (or unconcerning) long enough to get off a clean shot? One of these days, my heart is going to be too weak to handle that adrenaline rush, but what a way to go!

And bear meat is delicious. You just have to know how to cook it. My wife relies heavily on an insta-pot. Ground bear makes the best meatloaf, sloppy joes, and chili. Bear stew is far better than beef stew. Admittedly the steaks and burgers aren't as good as beef, but they're certainly palatable.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back