Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Question about an error I made.

Blaser270

Hey guys. First, I’m new to reloading. I’ve been studying it dor a long time and finally accumulated all of the tools etc. I made a little error that I’m hoping wont amount to anything. My Nosler data table for 150gr 270win calls for 48gr of H4350 powder, among others of course. Now i purchased inexpensive Hornady Interlock 130gr bullets for practice, about half the cost of the 150gr Accubonds and Partitions that I intend to develop this summer and hunt with. I realized that i loaded 130 grainers with a 150gr powder charge. Trouble is, the Nosler book doesnt list H4350 for the 130 grainers (it lists IMR-4350). Now the Berger data has a min charge for the 130gr 270win at 49.1gr. My loads averaged 48.5 gr.
Is it necessary or worth the effort to pull 20 bullets and redo those powder charges for 1/2-ish grain of powder? Can anyone tell me what the Hornady book has for the 130 grainers?
My intent for this lot of bullets is to put a new scope on paper at 100 and 200 yds, thats all.
Thanks in advance.
Pete

I think you'll be fine tho others may argue that changing bullet styles changes everything else, especially with Sierra bullets. Shoot one and see what happens.

I found a recipe and it looks like with a 130grain interlock with h4350 it suggests a minimum charge of 51grains and a Max of 53. They have a minimum charge for a reason. I personally wouldn't risk it and I'd reload em all. But I'm OCD when it comes to reloading.

And. Also if you ever need to check a load/powder most powder companies publish reload data on their websites and you can find out what powders work with what cartridges. In case your manual doesn't have the powder you have

For a Hornady bullet and a Hodgdon powder I would use Hornady and/or Hodgdon load data long before using Nosler/Berger data. I confirm published load data for all new bullet and powder combinations - I never assume transferability of load data across specific loads. YMMV, but to me better to measure twice and cut once when it comes to hand loading.

Last edited:
My Hodgdon manual shows a staring load of 52 grains for a 130 grain bullet. Personally, I’d pull them but that’s just my opinion.

Pull them. I wouldn’t even waste the powder on a charge that low. You can reload the pulled bullets.

My reloaded app which draws its info from multiple sources including Hodgdon and Hornady lists the minimum load for the components you mentioned as being 51grns of H4350.

I personally would not shoot those. Like Quackkill said, an undercharged load can be dangerous. You're a good 2.5grns low. Especially with a powder like H4350, that can make a big difference.

Do you guys account for differences in case capacities when you are loading for min/max? Capacites between manufacturers can vary considerably. In a 270 class cartridge it can vary 5-7gr of H2O capacity, easily, and a couple grains between like manufacturers.

A grain or two below minimum is nothing, IMO. If you don't want to pull them, I'd have no problem shooting them.

What if you shoot the minimum "book" load and its over pressure? would you back off?

The rifle isn't going to blow up by being a grain or two under minimum, same as it won't blow up being a grain or two over. Where you run into real trouble is backing way off.

I think you'll be fine tho others may argue that changing bullet styles changes everything else, especially with Sierra bullets. Shoot one and see what happens.

No disrespect intended, but as I finished reading your post, I swear I could see Wile E. Coyote doing just that. 🙂

I feel like its not worth the second guessing to be wrong and mess something up. I don't think you will injure yourself on this, but could mess up your equipment. When most things go wrong, there was usually a moment when we thought we shouldn't do it...

Last edited:
My reloaded app which draws its info from multiple sources including Hodgdon and Hornady lists the minimum load for the components you mentioned as being 51grns of H4350.

I personally would not shoot those. Like Quackkill said, an undercharged load can be dangerous. You're a good 2.5grns low. Especially with a powder like H4350, that can make a big difference.

Isn't the standard advice to back off about 5% from the maximum load listed which would put him about where he is now? Also is there some sort of definition or acceptable agreement for what constitutes a reduced load? I'd seek the counsel of a tech expert for IMR or Hodgdon.

Last edited:
Antelope
Max load listed is 55gr. Even dropping 10% would be 50gr starting.
The OP seems like he is trying to be frugal so I’d recommend pulling them. I wouldn’t even load the 130gr if you plan on using the 150gr to hunt with. You would be better served to find some cheap 150gr to practice with also. The load data gathered with the cheap 150gr will be much more helpful when you start with the 150gr Premium bullets also.

You can also go to the hodgon web page and look at their data. Select h4350 for the powder and 130gr bullets they will give ya what their recommendations are

Oh I would pull the trigger and see what happens. But I live most of my life well above the listed recommended load maximums too. So take that for what it is worth. There are so many variables to change pressure......bearing surface, depth you seat the bullets, powder charge, primers, neck tension, first shot brass, second shot brass, new barrel, broken in barrel.......It goes on and on. If you were 10 grains less then minimum it would bother me. A few grains less you will be fine.

Pull them. I wouldn’t even waste the powder on a charge that low. You can reload the pulled bullets.

How would you suggest he reload them? Add another grain or 2 of powder? Should he resize the necks? I have no issue with whatever he chooses. If going to the range was a PITA, I'd probly pull them. Otherwise, I'd likely just shoot them since the goal is to get on paper.

Last edited:
Pull the decapping pin and resize the neck of the case. Add 2.5gr of powder and load the bullets if he wants to use them.
I personally don’t shoot bullets I don’t intend to hunt with much but to each their own.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back