Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Quality over quantity?

Say someone gave you $6000 that you HAD to spend on guns and optics, what would you spend it on?

• A) Buy 6 low end rifles with cheap scopes, the more the better right?

• B) Buy 2 nice rifle and put good glass on them.

• Buy one really nice Gunwerks, MOA rifle, Red Rocks Precision ect. Buy once cry once.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Honestly I think I'd go with C. After splurging and building exactly what I want with the components I want I'm spoiled.
no longer applies

Last edited:
FTR, this is what a B level kind of rifle can get you:

Stock Ruger LH Mark II in 30-06: $450
Metal & stockwork from a smith: $1300
Vx3i from Schmalts: [Add to cart to see new low price]
1654783647772.png

Most pre-64 Winchesters, etc all fall in this line, as do used customs (I picked up a sub MOA 338 WM for $400, added a new stock for $70, and a VX3i 4.5x14, all for under $1K.)

Sakos, Coopers, Kimbers, Mark V's, etc - those higher end production guns fall into this category as well.

Normally I’m a “B” guy all day long but just went through this ‘zact same quandary awhile back, albeit at a somewhat lower price point.

Had two shooters picked out that I had squirreled up for and instead walked out the door with a Weatherby Mark V Backcountry 2.0 Ti. Gave Scmalts a ring for glass and the funds were gleefully appropriated and I was suddenly a “C” for the first time 🤷🏻‍♂️

All 3 choices are incorrect. I use one $600 rifle and have no intention of getting more.
I can buy this. One but, for that kind of money I'd have a rifle in specisl cartridges for what I'm doing. maybe a varmit rifle, deer rifle and heavy game rifle! Not sure I could survive with ust one rifle.

B. All day long.

Nice used double shotgun & a quality rifle with a VX5HD.

As I mentioned yesterday on the "old and unusual" rifle thread. I hunted all my adult life with basically three rifles and one shotgun, so except for his scope choice I agree with Mr. Lamb;) ( and that being said, you can never go wrong with a VX5HD)

Gimme the old and worn with character. Gimme variety and to hell with synthetic and soulless stocks. Gimme dings and dents, a chip and a stain. Gimme a peep site that dad broke the post off of and superglued back on. Gimme a scope that requires a bit of faith. Gimme a something that reflects the man in the mirror.

FTR, this is what a B level kind of rifle can get you:

Stock Ruger LH Mark II in 30-06: $450
Metal & stockwork from a smith: $1300
Vx3i from Schmalts: [Add to cart to see new low price]
View attachment 225289

Most pre-64 Winchesters, etc all fall in this line, as do used customs (I picked up a sub MOA 338 WM for $400, added a new stock for $70, and a VX3i 4.5x14, all for under $1K.)

Sakos, Coopers, Kimbers, Mark V's, etc - those higher end production guns fall into this category as well.
And you've successfully changed my mind because I forgot that Sakos were in that price range too.

I'd get me a Sako 85 Finnlight 2 in 7mm-08 and an 85 Hunter in 25-06, both topped with a 4-12x40 VX3-HD (from Schmalts)

If I magically had $6000, and I spent it on guns/optics, I wouldn’t live to tell the tale.
I think the rule is you better have at least that much more set aside for a nice vacation she wants, so really you’re looking at $12k for a couple guns with scopes…

For me its.... "B". IMO.....I would buy 2 guns in different calibers (with good glass) to have more of a selection when hunting different game, just to cover all the bases.

I am a ”B” guy. When it comes down to the wizard vs the wand question, I still think the wizard matters.

I’d be B or C. I’ve already got more guns that duplicate use than I want so I feel very little use to add more to my collection.

If it was me I’d probably buy a seekins Havak and a new bow if a bow is also an option for the money

Back