NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Quail and Woodcock Guides

CPAjeff

Looking for recommendations for outfitters for woodcock (wherever wild populations exist) and wild quail (AZ, NM, or TX). I don’t have a dog and am willing to travel to wherever needed for a quality experience.

Michigan is the top ranked state for woodcock harvest. Not knowing the level of guided hunt you're interested in, I'll only offer you to Google "Michigan Woodcock Guides".

As a volunteer woodcock bander in Michigan, I'd like to remind folks to check every woodcock they shoot, anywhere, for a leg band.

Last edited:
Honestly, you better get some shooting in! I believe woodcocks are harder to shoot than teal. Very erratic flight. Then find an outfitter.

Honestly, you better get some shooting in! I believe woodcocks are harder to shoot than teal. Very erratic flight. Then find an outfitter.
They are agile!
Give them a couple of seconds after the flush before firing. They'll usually level out for better shot opportunities.

Michigan is the top ranked state for woodcock harvest. Not knowing the level of guided hunt you're interested in, I'll only offer you to Google "Michigan Woodcock Guides".

As a volunteer woodcock bander in Michigan, I'd like to remind folks to check every woodcock they shoot, anywhere, for a leg band.

Thanks for the response - I’m open to all levels of guided hunts!

Last edited:
We actually have some great woodcock hunting here in Louisiana if you know where to go and hit it right, but I’ve never heard of a guided woodcock hunt?I guess it may be that way in all the eastern states though? A good friend has been quail hunting for years and has just branched out into woodcock to increase opportunity to hunt without traveling and paying too much. This was from a hunt on our place last January, got on 21 different birds but we finally got our limits!

As a waterfowl banded myself I’m very intrigued on how you go about catching woodcock to band @Birdbander ?

E7559C7D-1833-43D4-B234-C90CC5ACA5D1.jpeg

Here are the first 3 that come up on Google search:

I haven't met any of them. The first seems like the way to go for the all inclusive luxury experience.
The second I see a lot posting successful hunts on other sites.
The third is a field trialer. I have friends that have dogs by him. Exceptional dogs.

KipCarson, I'll private message to not derail the OP thread.

Even self-guided? Not to be that diehard, public land, DIY guy . . . but, good numbers of woodcock can be found in northern Wisconsin in late October and early November. Tons of public land and no dog necessary. Thick popple stands in lower areas, especially near tag alders and you’re good to go. I kick them up all the time grouse hunting here in NEW.

Looking for recommendations for outfitters for woodcock (wherever wild populations exist) and wild quail (AZ, NM, or TX). I don’t have a dog and am willing to travel to wherever needed for a quality experience.
No woodcock in AZ. But two of the quail species here are huntable without dogs, definitely can be done DIY.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnbighunter
Back