Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Pyramid Lake, NV

Birddog916

Last weekend we made it out to Pyramid Lake right before the Tribe ordered the lake closed due to the Covid-19. We camped out Thursday-Sunday. The fishing was average and we caught some nice fish. The big fish award went to my 15 year old nephew who landed a nice one. Pyramid is an amazing place. The NV desert, clouds, water, and light make this place special.

1585326142719.png

1585326262792.png

1585326323231.png

Great fish!

Are those Lahontan cutthroats? I used to get to help harvest eggs from fish NV DOW was growing them along the UT border.

Gotta love a trip when the fishing is 'average' and you end up with a beauty like that!

Hoping to hit up Pyramid on a trip to Sheep Show....seems like a pretty amazing place.

Great fish!

Are those Lahontan cutthroats? I used to get to help harvest eggs from fish NV DOW was growing them along the UT border.
Yep, Lahontan cuts. Pretty amazing story behind them.

Yep, Lahontan cuts. Pretty amazing story behind them.
A guy along the UT/NV border has three ponds where he raises them. The NDOW come and harvest eggs from him for the hatchery. I got to help seine those ponds a couple of times. Those fish get BIG.

It can be a lot of fun. If you happen to catch a big one on spinning tackle, some of the fly snobs will shower you with hurt feelings. Ask me how I know..
It is a great fishery and not difficult for fly or conventional. I would argue fly is even easier than conventional at Pyramid. I’d have to say most everyone I have ever fished along side were totally nice people especially the locals. Most want to help the first timers. people often net fish for me even if I’ve never met them. Don’t think for a minute most fly guys are any different than anyone else. Most still drink cold beer, enjoy a camp fire and wanna help. I’ve never experienced snobbery quite the opposite in fact.

Most fly guys are great guys, but I have had a few on top tier waters give me the stink eye. San Juan can be bad for it at times. I'm looking to start fly fishing, so I guess I'll be lumped in the group here soon lol

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back