Putnam County IL Deer Hunt!

Ryan2388

I got a tag and invited to hunt in IL this year in Putnam county. Wondering if anybody has ever hunted in that area?

Hey Dave N. I am going in the late muzzleloader in December. I was wondering if the bucks are still moving around then or go into hiding after the rut. Do the deer in Putnam have a good age range like more mature bucks or a lot of young ones running around? Thanks.

OK, guessing that would be the weekend starting the 11th. Firearm is over then so it's just the muzzleloader guys. Plus any archers wearing orange! Don't know which part you will be hunting, but Putnam County is REALLY small. 172 square miles. Mostly farm ground with timber following the river. Private, private, private for property. Everyone and their brother wants a place to hunt deer! Opening day sounds like WWII is being started again. There are some pretty nice bucks taken every year, but not many guys hold out for a wall-hanger. It's kind of a "shoot that buck because the guy across the fence will" type of hunt. Bow hunting we have more chances to be picky, but once gun season opens it's pretty much a if you see one, shoot one situation. Not many trophy hunters here, we want the meat. Deer go into hiding and almost seem to disappear. Not sure about the entire county and how the various spots are, but the places I have hunted it gets pretty tough after the first weekend. Do you know where you are going? I don't know EVERYBODY but maybe I have heard the name of the guy who invited you. Those things would narrow down where you will be hunting for me. For sure, you should NOT hold out for a "Booner". I've been deer hunting here since 1975 and the buck in my avatar pic is my biggest so far. I come up with a low 130s measuring it. I've seen a few bigger, but haven't been able to drop one. Three days isn't much to have that time of year looking for a nicer buck. They know what's going on and hide. Good luck! Hope I didn't burst any bubbles, but it's pretty tough here being so compact and having lots of hunting pressure.

Dave N is a bit east of me but I'll second what he says. After the deer get shot at by every redneck in the county for two weekends they get a little skittish. Pray for a serious weather front and some snow, it will put deer on their feet to feed or make them hunker down out of the wind on the lee side of hills and cover.

I'll also add to what Dave said by saying that the deer herds in most of Illinois aren't what they were 4-8 years ago.

Good luck.

Muzzle-loader this year is Dec.11 - 13, 2015 (also allowed Dec. 3 - 6)

Find the food you should find the deer

Thanks for all the good information guys. I can now set my standards of what to expect. Though he did tease me with some of his old trail cams picks of some monster ghost bucks but he said he never sees them once season starts. I believe in an area near the Dixon Waterfowl Refuge. Best Wood Duck hunting I have ever seen that area.

Dan that is one good looking buck you got from that area. I would love to shoot something like that if I saw it. Only small bucks for me the last few years.

Here's a quick update on what I've seen so far bow hunting. SLOW! First 2 weekends I went out I never saw a deer. Then the next weekend I killed a nice doe and a miniature racked buck 20 minutes apart. Slow again after that but I did miss a doe. Worked last weekend, and NOW the bucks are moving! Sort of. The past 2 days I've seen one doe and 4 or 5 different bucks. All of them were big, though. Most ignored the grunt tube but one yesterday crossed the ravine coming for me. Have to admit it, I've never EVER seen this deer. Had to be the biggest deer I've ever seen here. Don't know what he saw, smelled or heard, but he stopped about 45 yards out. Turned and went back where he came from. Today I had a nice buck come to me at a fast trot. I drew when he got behind a couple of trees and he stopped 29 yards away straight on. Looked around and turned and walked away. Really? I had splashed a bunch of deer pee around and I know he smelled it. All I can think of is he heard my arrow on my rest when I drew, or my scent loc suit is getting worn out. He wasn't scared, but didn't want to keep coming the few more steps I needed. Saw 3 or 4 more big racked bucks later passing through the area and a coyote, then nothing. Never even saw a squirrel today! So, it looks like the rut is getting a good start with bucks on the prowl. No doe chasing yet but by this weekend it should be in full swing. Friday is the first firearm season so there should be lots of bucks shot before they head for cover. After that, well, it gets real tough again. Any surviving big bucks are smart enough to hide real quick. I'm all set up for gun season and will post a pic of the big one I get Friday! ;)

Tagged out Friday by 10AM. Shot my doe about 8 and then a 9 point (that's flatlander talk) buck around 9:30. He was so intent on the doe he was chasing that he simply kept walking even though both lungs had been punched. 3 hours sitting I saw 6 does and 2 bucks. Heard some shooting, but not the WW3 type I had expected. Driving home I saw 2 bucks and 4 does next to the road, then after a gunshot another nice buck ran through as I sat in my truck watching. Friday night the snow and wind hit. No idea how many guys suffered through that! I got to stay home and wait for the power to come back on... There should be an update in the paper soon with 1st season totals.

gun%20buck%202015_zpsq4jrdibb.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome. 2 weeks I can't wait. I am actually up in Montana on a hunt I decided to go do. Lots of miles put in. The elk where always some where else I was hunting. Private and public no elk. They came to areas I previously hunted with no sign from other hunters getting lucky. I did shoot a decent public land mule deer and packed him out. Biggest buck I saw all week and no whitetails anywhere. 5 years ago this spot was money for everything and now I may have to look for a new honey hole.

Congrats on all your deer. My friend shot a 150 buck and his dad missed a bigger one.

What a difference 2 weeks makes! Went out today and only saw one squirrel by 11AM when I had to leave. Heard maybe 4 shots. Maybe today being Thursday had a little to do with the shooting. I'm just out for the fun of it now since I have 4 in the freezer. Using my .54 cal. T/C Renegade for my muzzle loader tag. May as well make it a bit tougher! Forecast for next weekend is mid 40s in the mornings and low 50s daytime and chances of rain. Pack accordingly. Don't know if I'll be hunting then or not but maybe we can arrange a handshake in there somewhere! Good luck!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skywagon
Back