Purity?

I hunt both private and public land. I am lucky to have easy access to both in my county. Here's my question. Do you value a trophy or animal more if it comes from public land as opposed to private land? In terms of experience or challenge or whatever, is one "better" than the other in your opinion?
"Better" and "value a trophy or animal" isn't black/white. Depends on so many things, land ownership not being close to the top.

I’m in Texas, and hunting public is definitely more challenging, particularly for big game. I hunt both public and private for whitetails and hogs, and my proudest “trophy” was the yearling doe I shot on a walk-in public land hunt. I consider any animal hunted fairly on public land to be a trophy.

I hunt both private and public land. I am lucky to have easy access to both in my county. Here's my question. Do you value a trophy or animal more if it comes from public land as opposed to private land? In terms of experience or challenge or whatever, is one "better" than the other in your opinion?
I personally think Private vs Public isn't really the deciding factor for me.
Its more like free range vs high fence? Though I guess I would say that I don't have as much respect for a massive Whitetail that you got on your deer farm as I due for a Massive Muley - whether taken from Private or Public land.
In my personal belief we can all do our own and I think you should. There are people who would say my Winter Caribou hunt on Snow Machines isn't really a hunt. Be we still have to locate, still have to hike, still have to make the shot - but I get where to some guys that isn't a hunt.

So in my personal belief -
#1 any wild free roaming animal (public vs private doesn't matter).
#2 'farm' wild life - still free but when you are breeding and raising deer around your property a certain way and you are changing/improving them I don't know if wild and free is still accurate.
#3 High fence and similar operations.

I have more respect for a DIY hunt then a Guided hunt as well - not because I wouldn't go on a guided hunt but I know that DIY is alot of trial and error and learning before you find success. I'm hoping to be invited on my buddies Guided Elk Hunt next year down in the lower 48, so I have nothing against guides and outfitters personally.

Anyway - alot of rambling there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back