Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Puppy pic. thread

Slash can now mark Glacier off his bucket list. To be honest, he wasn't that impressed.
50254931363_e9c4750619_k.jpg

Heres Bridger and Mattis.
Bridger is the little mountain squirrel dog who has an identity crisis and thinks he's a lab sometimes when he gets around the ducks. I have not had him long and he is still just a pup but has a lot of promise and comes from good stock.
Mr. Mattis was my bird dog who started life as a squirrel dog till I found out he liked to point at stuff instead of bark (I have no clue why) Instead of getting rid of him I just started working with him on grouse and it ended up working out pretty good and after about 2 years he made a pretty good bird dog at least for myself. He hunted close for the most part and if I missed (which is often) he would act disgusted for a little bit and then carry on. Only thing he ever asked for was some jerky and to ride up front.
He was killed by some punk POS while we were hunting in January who decided to shoot him from a truck. He was maybe 50 or 60 yards from me and working the edge of a grown up field edge. I was on the woods side and watching for him to work the briers and grape pushing the birds who like to run towards me. By the time I went to him and got him to the truck they were long gone by 30 minutes. Probably a good thing I only had #6 with me that day and even better that I could not see anything other than a fleeting momentary flash of taillights through the brush as they made a turn around the logging road I was on.Bridger in the beans.jpgBridger on the porch.jpgBridger on tree.jpegBridger with the ducks.jpgbridger.jpegMattis first point.jpgMattis on point.jpg

Greta, nearly 4 month old vizsla out of field trial lines. Got her back in early September. Ill start running her on birds with my 9 year old griff in a couple months, she should get quite a few points and some good experience before the falconry season ends in March - nothing like wild birds and learning from an older dog to get them going!

Attachments

• IMG_2700 (1).jpeg
    IMG_2700 (1).jpeg
    986.2 KB · Views: 6
Took my 6 month old lab pup Tikka with me to look for elk. I was glassing when she came over with this in her mouth. Had to have her pose for a picture. I’ve been hiding sheds I’ve found on the woods around the house for her and she’s been doing good with that. This is her first shed on her own. She’s a sweetheart too. Super impressed with this little lab. 25601E18-E3F5-4DDF-88E0-BDC2BD505723.jpeg B5F5D42A-4A3D-43F4-B7B1-2194828EE3F5.png

I just want to brag about my pup a little... :)

I planted a couple live quail around my property twice at the start of December to gauge her interest/ability. She was a natural. Planted a couple live quail out in the sage for he to find twice then I started running her with my older griff on wild birds in early December at 5mos old.

A couple weeks of that and she got the idea. By the end of December, still under 6mos old, she was running solo and finding and pinning both grouse and huns. Late season birds. She ranges out a few hundred yards, holds a solid point (minutes long points as a couple she has been 300+ out from me when she locks up) until I catch up, and does not intentionally flush or pressure enough to bump.

I have needed to do zero pigeon work. No launchers or game farm birds. Just wild birds, the way I like it (no pheasants!). Have not needed to shoot anything for her, either, which is good. Ill probably introduce the gun at some point, but I dont really like to shoot birds since these birds are my future with the falcons (and some of the best working pointers I know have literally never had a single bird shot of them so it is not necessary :) ).

I am really, really impressed.

Hun point:

IMG_4041.jpg

Grouse point:

IMG_4042.jpg

Grouse point and one of pair in flight after I flushed:

88ABB30E-C6F3-4699-B8D0-F2C1C82FC160.jpeg

9EB1DBE4-5411-4296-90F0-DCB911B55F45.jpeg

Cute kid:

DE21D9A7-574A-42A3-B7DF-C2F6C9720748.jpeg

The future is bright. :)

I just want to brag about my pup a little... :)

I planted a couple live quail around my property twice at the start of December to gauge her interest/ability. She was a natural. Planted a couple live quail out in the sage for he to find twice then I started running her with my older griff on wild birds in early December at 5mos old.

A couple weeks of that and she got the idea. By the end of December, still under 6mos old, she was running solo and finding and pinning both grouse and huns. Late season birds. She ranges out a few hundred yards, holds a solid point (minutes long points as a couple she has been 300+ out from me when she locks up) until I catch up, and does not intentionally flush or pressure enough to bump.

I have needed to do zero pigeon work. No launchers or game farm birds. Just wild birds, the way I like it (no pheasants!). Have not needed to shoot anything for her, either, which is good. Ill probably introduce the gun at some point, but I dont really like to shoot birds since these birds are my future with the falcons (and some of the best working pointers I know have literally never had a single bird shot of them so it is not necessary :) ).

I am really, really impressed.

Hun point:

View attachment 171476

Grouse point:

View attachment 171477

Grouse point and one of pair in flight after I flushed:

View attachment 171478

View attachment 171479

Cute kid:

View attachment 171480

The future is bright. :)
My first hunting dog was a Visla. Hunted her on pheasants and huns in southern Idaho and ducks in Utah. Wrapped in a blanket for cold duck hunts, but she always was eager to retrieve.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back