Caribou Gear

Pup choices

We’re in middle of sorting out what kind of hunt dog to choose. Our list of choices is lab, GSP, drathar, wire haired pointer, vizla, Boykin. Upland birds and ducks would be primary. Help us through the fun of figuring this out thank you.
Didn't realize you were in NV a Vizsla would love that climate too ;)

I love my Vizsla amazing upland dog. They'd have to be trained hard to do waterfowl, thin coat they wouldn't want to be in subzero duck sloughs.

But look at this face!

If you need help with breeders PM me so we did a good amount of research.

View attachment 161751

Cute pup!

I just got myself a vizsla. Flew to Wisconsin to get the right pup from a field trialer there. She is 4.5 months old now. I am loving her - super smart and pretty bold afield thus far.

The one thing - and I cant decide if its a positive or negative - is she is a needy, clingy little thing around the house. Always wants to be laying on/with someone, doesnt want to be left alone in the crate, and really whiney. Am forcing her to have some alone time, of course, but the crying, oh my goodness! Def lives up to the 'velcro dog' reputation.

Outside, tho, she charges ahead with my other dogs. Goes off exploring, nose high. I think she is going to be a great dog. Will start running her with my older griff on wild birds in probably another month or so thru to the end of falconry season at the end of March.

It's great that you have another dog! Getting a second Lab to keep our loner company was the best move I've ever made. Two dogs are twice as enjoyable as one and they have each other to play with which takes some of the pressure off you, especially in the off season or when everyone is gone to work/school. For eight years I had three dogs. Picked up the Fr Britt pup after my wife and son died to help keep me occupied. She did that job well.

go nuts trying to sort through dog people’s opinions on dogs. 😁 The best advice we got was to remember that the dog is a family member 12 months of the year, and a Hunter for only a few. Also unless you are trialing or hunt testing, you can train the dog to hunt the way you want to hunt. Ours knows all kinds of handy tricks for jump shooting ducks or pinching late season wild roosters. I doubt any of them are sanctioned skills, but she helps us be more effective and for us, that’s the point. 😁

Someone mentioned earlier and I completely agree...make sure you find a breed and/or a litter that can handle the conditions you want to hunt primarily. Our lab is 85 lean lbs. We wanted a bigger dog because of our extreme cold and snow, for big late season water and -20 degree pheasants but early season we have to be very careful with her because of the heat. Just something to keep in mind.
very nicely stated, and true!

my post would have zero interest to you, since your area and our area are miles apart and not just geographically . Hunting wife makes a good point about this as well as what you and we ( and others ) want from a dog.

It is also obvious from the posts on this thread and the all purpose dog thread that a Boykin is not high on anyones list, so you might not want to consider that breed ;) And our sled dogs probably would not be of much use to you in Nevada:) We raised a couple of wolf pups at the request of the Govt in the past and they had a particular set of qualities not seen in all dog breeds---nobody messed with me when they were with meo_O

whatever you choice, love him/her and he/she will love you back.

Ontariohunter : !st and foremost, I might have missed this conversation in the past. My condolences on your loss. Also I dont disagree with the two dog idea. But 15 plus the Boykin, is work, but fortunately for me, work I enjoy :)

And speaking of that, I need to get out there

I always wanted a lab but ended up with a German wirehair. I still love being around labs but I’ll never own one. One of the main reasons is the smell. My Wirehair never had any kind of unpleasant smell unless he got into some nasty mud or something.

VG...how much do your labs weigh?
The older big one (female) is kept at 75lbs and the younger smaller one will be kept at about 55-60 (she is still growing).

Frankly, as much as I love the English labs, if I lived in a desert and getting a working dog, I would look for something different (without the undercoat). Up in MN, WI, MI and the Dakotas they are a perfect fit for the weather and terrain (cold and lots of water), but in NV I would worry about them running hot. YMMV.

I always wanted a lab but ended up with a German wirehair. I still love being around labs but I’ll never own one. One of the main reasons is the smell. My Wirehair never had any kind of unpleasant smell unless he got into some nasty mud or something.
A smelly Lab? Really? Some dogs get plugged up smelly anal glands but it's not breed specific as far as I know. I had one chocolate Lab that required relief with a rubber glove on occasion but none of the other six had any problems.

Our labs are dirt and smell free unless they get into something dead in the woods. I have loved how no matter how muddy they get, after they dry out the dirt just falls off in their kennels and they look like they just had a bath. Their breath on the other hand. . . . .

The older big one (female) is kept at 75lbs and the younger smaller one will be kept at about 55-60 (she is still growing).

Frankly, as much as I love the English labs, if I lived in a desert and getting a working dog, I would look for something different (without the undercoat). Up in MN, WI, MI and the Dakotas they are a perfect fit for the weather and terrain (cold and lots of water), but in NV I would worry about them running hot. YMMV.
Unfortunately you may have a good point. But he says he plans to hunt ducks too. Personally, I would advise leaving Vegas so he can get a Lab. And there are probably at least a million other good reasons to leave Vegas. 😉 Not my favourite place.

Unfortunately you may have a good point. But he says he plans to hunt ducks too. Personally, I would advise leaving Vegas so he can get a Lab. And there are probably at least a million other good reasons to leave Vegas. 😉 Not my favourite place.
Vegas is one of my very favorite places to visit (the old downtown part), but I couldn't imagine living there.

The thing about Vegas is that while the city may be sucky, it is a very short drive into the desert and mountains. There is some real neat hiking and climbing in Red Rocks, Mt. Charleston, and beyond. Not my ideal spot, but I always have a blast visiting family - a meal or two in old Las Vegas or on the strip with lots of outdoor time in the mountains and desert.

The Lab and the Border Terrier are mine and I wouldn’t trade ‘em for anything. But my buddy’s Draht...tip of the spear in the hunting world. Nothing really compares. Energy-endless, Nose-unbelievable, listens like he knows the English language. Guys run ‘em with hounds for bears and lions, upland, waterfowl, coons, whatever. They are simply hunters. If you value the dogs hunting ability above all else the choice is easy.

Attachments

• 1EF650D3-AFFA-4092-B3AC-2272AFD76970.jpeg
    1EF650D3-AFFA-4092-B3AC-2272AFD76970.jpeg
    545.1 KB · Views: 17
Vegas ain’t for everyone somehow I’ve been 45+ years always been good to me for some reason. I can be in hunting territory in 4-5 hours in 3 states it’s all good.

The Lab and the Border Terrier are mine and I wouldn’t trade ‘em for anything. But my buddy’s Draht...tip of the spear in the hunting world. Nothing really compares. Energy-endless, Nose-unbelievable, listens like he knows the English language. Guys run ‘em with hounds for bears and lions, upland, waterfowl, coons, whatever. They are simply hunters. If you value the dogs hunting ability above all else the choice is easy.
Nice!

Gad, that Lab could be Ellie's twin. What's the thing hanging on her collar?

The thing about Vegas is that while the city may be sucky, it is a very short drive into the desert and mountains. There is some real neat hiking and climbing in Red Rocks, Mt. Charleston, and beyond. Not my ideal spot, but I always have a blast visiting family - a meal or two in old Las Vegas or on the strip with lots of outdoor time in the mountains and desert.
Yes, flying over that country I am always struck at how much emptiness is out there. The emptier the better as far as I'm concerned. It's why I love Alaska.

His...he is a 63lb male. Just a dog tag.
Consider getting a band style ID tag that rivets on the collar. PetSmart sells them and engraved in the store. I attach them to top of collar opposite the ring/buckle. That way if someone finds the dog they don't have wrestle with it to read the tag. I once had a Lab with dangle tag get caught in a fence. Lucky she didn't strangle as she was also wearing a choke collar (very dumb but it's just what you did with gun dogs in those days).

Ellie is just under 70 lbs. Tall and lean.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back