Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Pup choices

I will add another dog to the list. My uncle has been an avid bird hunter his entire life. He's only owned one type of Dog and it's filled all of his hunting needs. The Chesapeake Bay Retriever. While they love the water, he's taken them all over hunting and never had any complaints, including Chukar hunting.

There is no perfect answer to this question, only the perfect answer for YOU. Like Andy said, make a priority list. Don’t forget the non hunting stuff like shedding, size, demeanor, etc. How will the dog fit in with other recreational activities?

Focus on specifics for hunting. Not all waterfowl situations are created equal. Big water divers? Small stream mallards? Jump shooting? Decoys? Boat, big, small, kayak, canoe? For pheasants are you hunting ditchways with blockers or big CRP? So many variables will guide your choice.

The labs I’ve owned and been around didn’t have the same quality feet the Drahthaars I’ve been around do. I can hunt chukars 3-4 days in a row with no boots. You won’t do that with a lab. If chukars are going to be one of your priorities, I think you’ll be disappointed with labs. Not banging on them, they’re great dogs. I will say lab owners tend to be like Crossfitters.

Good luck in your search. I’d encourage you to go meet some breeders and see if you can watch their dogs work.

Well, I did indicate I wanted to get educated. Haven't scratched the surface yet apparently.

I will add another dog to the list. My uncle has been an avid bird hunter his entire life. He's only owned one type of Dog and it's filled all of his hunting needs. The Chesapeake Bay Retriever. While they love the water, he's taken them all over hunting and never had any complaints, including Chukar hunting.
1605208897055.png
smiling chessie, they are cool dogs

If Lab is still in consideration, given where you live, you should go with a yellow one. I think a hairy dog would not be a great choice, especially if not white. But they can be clipped.

My Lab's feet need to be toughened up for uplands when I get here. But I haven't encountered a breed that doesn't. The rangey pointing dogs are worse because they put on so many more miles in a day.

I guess it depends on how spooky the birds are to qualify a rangey pointing dog as the better choice. When I get here the public birds have been pressured. My French Britt is a slick pointing dog but the birds won't hold for her more than a minute or two. Three hundred yards away and forget it. I will definitely do better with my close working Lab (who also points very well). Anyway, shooting a lot of birds is second place to actually watching the dog work ... and there ain't much to watch when they're five hundred yards out or in the thick stuff and need to be located with a beeping satellite collar. I find hunting behind a close working "wiper" I can watch and interact with a lot more enjoyable.

All in ones definition of enjoyable. I am oh, there is nothing more fun than shooting a bird off point.

My dog ranges from 50 to 200 yards, depending on the cover and how far I let him range on that day.
2F9BC5B7-86B5-448B-8255-3FD127E187C5.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyway, shooting a lot of birds is second place to actually watching the dog work ... and there ain't much to watch when they're five hundred yards out or in the thick stuff and need to be located with a beeping satellite collar. I find hunting behind a close working "wiper" I can watch and interact with a lot more enjoyable.

Au contraire, I find more than a little enjoyment letting a dog roll. Five hundred yard casts in my part of the world just means they are doing their job. The only downside is that most people get pretty puckered when their dog shows enough drive to extend their search that boldly.

It is actually more than a little exciting to know that when your dog is taking a caragana row for its full length that you and it are still connected, even thou it might be several hundred yards between you.

There are as many types of bird dogs as there are flavors of ice cream. Everyone has a favorite flavor. All of them fill a niche.

Any day that I ride a nice horse handling a dog that tears thru the country is a day well spent.

On this day I had two dogs down, each cutting a big lick. Happened to also have a camera. Both went on point on their own birds. This is the shot before I flushed the birds for Rowdy.

395FED6F-5373-4946-9257-9E5839D59F4F.jpeg

This was Sunny when I got to her birds.
315C3F23-EF5A-4A56-A721-D6D930066A67.jpeg

It's all good if it pleases you.

Again, lots of great options, but I really appreciate that our English labs' hair is so waxy and short that we get ZERO cockleburs and the like. I was reminded of this yesterday when it took my wife and I 30 minutes to get them out of our daughter's 10 lb spaniel after five minutes in the woods with the big dogs. (10lbs of dog, 5 lbs of crap stuck to 10 lb dog)

If you decide to get a dog with a longer hair coat, you can easily clip the hair shorter, when desired.

I doubt burrs are huge problem in Nevada but a comb like this makes short work of them.

https://www.chewy.com/hertzko-long-...ZzjWVbAY-QKObdw5WB9PnwAkIrjgKAbhoClXoQAvD_BwE

I've had burrs totally tangled up in my setters tails, and a couple minutes with that comb and they're cleaned up. I do not trim their tail, the rest of their coat gets clipped short in warmer weather.

Au contraire, I find more than a little enjoyment letting a dog roll. Five hundred yard casts in my part of the world just means they are doing their job. The only downside is that most people get pretty puckered when their dog shows enough drive to extend their search that boldly.

It is actually more than a little exciting to know that when your dog is taking a caragana row for its full length that you and it are still connected, even thou it might be several hundred yards between you.

There are as many types of bird dogs as there are flavors of ice cream. Everyone has a favorite flavor. All of them fill a niche.

Any day that I ride a nice horse handling a dog that tears thru the country is a day well spent.

On this day I had two dogs down, each cutting a big lick. Happened to also have a camera. Both went on point on their own birds. This is the shot before I flushed the birds for Rowdy.

View attachment 161804

View attachment 161805

My bird dogs look similar to yours! High speed, low drag setters. They’re bred for horseback field trials but let me follow them on foot. Bird finding machines!

The drawback to most English Labs I've seen is they are fairly short-legged. Seem to run out of gas quickly. Not a big deal for waterfowl hunting since it is fairly sedentary. But uplands requires staying power. 1129181400.jpg My American Lab has fairly long legs and lean. She can go and go in these pheasant fields. Even battling through four foot snow drifts today. A couple of times she flat disappeared. She has unbelievable endurance.

Do English Labs come in any other colour but black?

The drawback to most English Labs I've seen is they are fairly short-legged. Seem to run out of gas quickly. Not a big deal for waterfowl hunting since it is fairly sedentary. But uplands requires staying power. View attachment 161847 My American Lab has fairly long legs and lean. She can go and go in these pheasant fields. Even battling through four foot snow drifts today. A couple of times she flat disappeared. She has unbelievable endurance.

Do English Labs come in any other colour but black?
I am sure it varies by line and overall fitness, but as long it is colder than 60 degrees, my 2 english labs run with the GSPs and don't want to stop. But we are careful with their weight and they jog with my wife off-season. There is a fair amount of body differences in English labs depending on how the mix of "show" and "field" varieties were bred into your line. Our older one is super thick and stocky, our newer one is thinner and leaner build - a real runner. It was clear in their parentage that they would end up this way. So if you find the right breeder you can get a whole range of animals.

As for colors, english labs come in black, yellow (ranging from almost paper white to almost brown ("fox red"), and chocolate.

View attachment 161804

View attachment 161805

That is what I'm talking about . . . . fill the country and run to the birds.

You’ll go nuts trying to sort through dog people’s opinions on dogs. 😁 The best advice we got was to remember that the dog is a family member 12 months of the year, and a Hunter for only a few. Also unless you are trialing or hunt testing, you can train the dog to hunt the way you want to hunt. Ours knows all kinds of handy tricks for jump shooting ducks or pinching late season wild roosters. I doubt any of them are sanctioned skills, but she helps us be more effective and for us, that’s the point. 😁

Someone mentioned earlier and I completely agree...make sure you find a breed and/or a litter that can handle the conditions you want to hunt primarily. Our lab is 85 lean lbs. We wanted a bigger dog because of our extreme cold and snow, for big late season water and -20 degree pheasants but early season we have to be very careful with her because of the heat. Just something to keep in mind.

You’ll go nuts trying to sort through dog people’s opinions on dogs. 😁 The best advice we got was to remember that the dog is a family member 12 months of the year, and a Hunter for only a few. Also unless you are trialing or hunt testing, you can train the dog to hunt the way you want to hunt. Ours knows all kinds of handy tricks for jump shooting ducks or pinching late season wild roosters. I doubt any of them are sanctioned skills, but she helps us be more effective and for us, that’s the point. 😁

Someone mentioned earlier and I completely agree...make sure you find a breed and/or a litter that can handle the conditions you want to hunt primarily. Our lab is 85 lean lbs. We wanted a bigger dog because of our extreme cold and snow, for big late season water and -20 degree pheasants but early season we have to be very careful with her because of the heat. Just something to keep in mind.
Yah....even though we are more active than the norm, we know the pup will end up being more a house dog than otherwise. So the dog's ability to deal with whatever environment it finds itself in is very important. We've mentioned a couple times the heat here. People tend to think of Vegas as being hot during July-August, that's not quite right. It's really hot then, but the shoulder months are hot too, just not quite as hot. The dog won't be made to suffer through heat though. We already have a rescue dog which lives inside with access to the back yard through the doggy door. Here's something I forgot to mention before, we have quite a pigeon problem. Those rats-with-wings are in for a rude surprise :D I'm really pleased that folks have taken the time to share opinions on dogs here, it really helps with focusing on obvious things that aren't so obvious to one who isn't experienced with hunting dogs.

I am sure it varies by line and overall fitness, but as long it is colder than 60 degrees, my 2 english labs run with the GSPs and don't want to stop. But we are careful with their weight and they jog with my wife off-season. There is a fair amount of body differences in English labs depending on how the mix of "show" and "field" varieties were bred into your line. Our older one is super thick and stocky, our newer one is thinner and leaner build - a real runner. It was clear in their parentage that they would end up this way. So if you find the right breeder you can get a whole range of animals.

As for colors, english labs come in black, yellow (ranging from almost paper white to almost brown ("fox red"), and chocolate.
VG...how much do your labs weigh?

If you decide to get a dog with a longer hair coat, you can easily clip the hair shorter, when desired.

I doubt burrs are huge problem in Nevada but a comb like this makes short work of them.

https://www.chewy.com/hertzko-long-...ZzjWVbAY-QKObdw5WB9PnwAkIrjgKAbhoClXoQAvD_BwE

I've had burrs totally tangled up in my setters tails, and a couple minutes with that comb and they're cleaned up. I do not trim their tail, the rest of their coat gets clipped short in warmer weather.
Here the problems are hitchhikers, and pointy stuff, which is pretty much everything in the desert. This brings up another question I'd thought of but forgotten to ask, what about using boots? Is that even done?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jscrocca
Back