Punk Rock Hunt Talkers

Transitioning from middle school to high school in 1984 I went from a kid who skateboarded by himself to a kid with a circle of friends who skate, our own little band of misfits. One day someone in that circle gave me a dubbed tape. Side A was the first Suicidal Tendencies album, and side B was JFA. Those days pretty much changed the trajectory of who I would be as a person.

For several years, this was the default song to listen to before heading out on a skate mission. Still gets my hackles up every time I listen to it.

And then one night I discovered that my local public access station would rebroadcast this show from Seattle at 2am on Sundays. I would record it and watch it Monday mornings before school, much to my parents' chagrin.

One day someone in that circle gave me a dubbed tape. Side A was the first Suicidal Tendencies album, and side B was JFA. Those days pretty much changed the trajectory of who I would be as a person.

I’m loving the stories of the “pivotal moments”! I think punk had a way of doing that. A place for the misfits, weirdos, and rejects. It wasn’t just music it’s a lifestyle for some. My crew was tight AF and always had each others backs.

My buddy knocked a dude out cold with a wallet chain wrapped around his knuckles. His name was Jesse but everyone called him Jesus cause he had long hair. Dude he knocked out was named Moses. Everyone was like you see Jesus knock out Moses. lol classic.

Damn! We had the capacity for violence for some reason. Seemingly little, often just words to bring it out.

Never wear anything your adversary could use as a handle.

Saw somebody fall in the pit, eyebrow piercing got caught on a stud belt as they went down. Piercing ripped out, blood everywhere.

Anyone who says youth is wasted on the young never spent time in a pit.

I went to my 30th high school reunion in '22 (delayed from COVID in 21) and the punk kids all fell in together easily. We've created our own spotify playlists with all the old stuff and what we've been into since we graduated. 30 years w/o seeing any of those scumbags and it was like yesterday. We left the reunion because it was just like high school, headed to the bar and had a whale of a time until 3 am.

While the 'popular' kids were listening to Judas Priest and Led Zeppelin, I had a steady dose of the Ramones and Misfits....
Out at the gravel pit parties us punk kids would be moshing and bouncing each other off cars while the Metal kids were headbanging and puking because they couldn't hold their weed and alcohol :oops:

And here I thought Punk was fizzling by the 90's.
I never got further than The Clash .

I'm not much for Punk past the late 80's, but if folks like and it still pisses off people, then they can enjoy it.

Some people don't like ragtime jazz, others dislike bebop. The 90's punk kids will never know the struggle of having to drive all over the place looking for a record because the bootleg tape you had was the 47th overdub on that cassette, of the 98th recording of the original.

Dolby S was a lie.

I'm not much for Punk past the late 80's, but if folks like and it still pisses off people, then they can enjoy it.

Some people don't like ragtime jazz, others dislike bebop. The 90's punk kids will never know the struggle of having to drive all over the place looking for a record because the bootleg tape you had was the 47th overdub on that cassette, of the 98th recording of the original.

Dolby S was a lie.
Punk girls never did much for me, so I bird dogged in other music genre directions.😁

Back