Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Pump Shotgun Feedback/Sugestions?

I still strongly disagree. My benelli is treated as a tool as well. You use it enough and your going to want something quality I guess. Btw your supposed to shoot squirrels witha .22. šŸ˜‰
I consider Benelliā€™s high end firearms and Iā€™ve seen professional hunter Steve Rinella hunt squirrels on tv with a shotgun.

I went into the gun store expecting to pick up an 870 for me and my boys. I tried the fit of several and ended up walking out with the Winchester SXP. It fit me and my sons better than the 870.

@Gerald Martin I too have this SXP that I shoot well. Should come with a big red warning on the outside of the box: Firing pin spring can be easily lost.......use great caution when cleaning. (Especially if done in the field. I still havenā€™t found the one that ricocheted away when I cleaned it in my garage).

870ā€™s are ugly, but they work. The only two complaints I have about them are A) you actually have to guide the shell into the mag tube, and B) the slide release is a little inconvenient. On an Ithaca 37, once the shell is in the bottom of the action, it will slide into the mag tube. The bottom port on an 870 has quite a bit of room in all directions, and until youā€™re very accustomed to it, you almost have to flip the gun over and look at it as you slide the shell in. An Ithaca 37 also has a slide release that is very easy to operate with your trigger finger and without adjusting your grip. On an 870, the release is on the opposite side, and harder to operate.

A browning BPS is basically an Ithaca 37.

I shoot a browning bps and absolutely love it. you mentioned the SXP which I bought for my wife a few years back. I love shooting it. She had some tough times with the action the first couple years it seemed like it was a little sticky. I will say i had it jam a few times as well. Things must have loosened up because we never had it happen last year. I think a lot of the issue is it does not have much tolerance if you are not getting a full pump, if your a little short on it, it would jam. Not sure if its a size or weight thing but it is very comfortable and just plain drops the ducks.

I came down to the same decision between the nova and sxp. IMO I would go with the SXP again but would go hit some clays and run 4-5 boxes of shells through it.

My other duck gun is a Charles Daly pump which we won at DU banquet, it is my main gun mainly due to it being 3.5" which really drops the geese. I dont have any sentimental value in it either so tramping around the marsh with it doesn't bother me. It was synthetic stalk black which i applied the camo plastic wrap to with heat gun, which has stayed for years.

Even with the other two guns if wife isn't in the blind her gun ends up there, so that is what makes me lean toward the sxp.

I have a Nova. Itā€™s the only gun I donā€™t clean after every use. I have never cleaned it. Had it for many years. I have shot 3 1/2ā€ 3ā€, 2 3/4 never a jam. Lead shot, steel shot, new loads, 20 year old loads. I think I am going to see how much it can take. Been dropped out on my truck, fell out of my Side by side and got ran over and still killed a Turkey.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back