Caribou Gear Tarp

Pump Shotgun Feedback/Sugestions?

mplane72

My oldest son has been bitten by the waterfowl bug. It's time for him to have his own 12 ga. I want my A500 back. He's got a birthday coming up and I'm thinking of taking him shopping for a new gun. I want him to handle it and pick it out. My budget is pump gun money if he wants an auto loader he can make up the difference. I haven't been paying a lot of attention to new models but the two I'm liking on paper are the Benelli Nova and Winchester SXP. Never had a problem with a Mossberg 500. I've heard some negatives about new 870s. Now experience with the Stoegers but even the auto's are looking to be close to my budget.

So anyone have any real world feed back about the newer pump guns on the market? Thanks.

I have a friend who had issues with the Nova. Took a little extra oomph on the slide to put a shell into battery. New Remington's seem fine, and luckily parts are everywhere if something does break. Fit is most important IMO, more so than brand.

I love my Benelli SuperNova. Have had zero issues running in from 90* to -19*. I like the shim kit that comes with the SuperNova as it allows a bit of customization for each shooter. Benelli would be the only entry level pump I’d even bother looking at.

As far as the Stoeger autos, I also have the M3000 and have nothing but good things to say about it. Have run in it similar temps and the only issue was the bolt gumming up a bit when I used the wrong lubricant when it was too cold. Could happen to every gun, hard to fault it for it. Also comes with shims for that bit of customization.

I would try the super nova, the only real difference is the super nova can be shimmed to fit the shooter. I would also look for a 26" barrel instead of a 28", the 26" will swing nicer for youth and you loose minimal velocity or accuracy.
Thomas beat me to it, but I still recommend the super nova.

Another very nice pump gun is the Browning BPS, especially if you hunt from layout blinds since they eject out the bottom. If you can find a deal they are nice, but full price they are very expensive for a pump gun, more than some entry level autoloaders.

Honestly, when I hear Pump Shotgun- I think 870. It’s like tissue/Kleenex, the 870 is simply the standard by which all others are judged.
they’ve been making them since 1950 in so many variants, that I can’t name them all. I hate pump shotguns (I’m too dumb to remember to pump). But I own several in 12ga, 20ga, 28ga.
I would argue that any newer pump shotgun owes its birth to the 870.

** For my older friends, I’m not forgetting the Model 12 nor the Model 37, just looking at the modern era.

My first gun was a Wingmaster that I still own and love but being an old 2 3/4 in. 20 ga. it doesn't hunt much any more. I guess my only real concern with an 870 is the little bit I've heard about Remington's situation and claims about quality of recent guns. That said i don't know how they could screw up the 870.

I can't speak to the NEW 870s but a used one...
I have one that I dearly love and abuse every year it is the supper express 12 3 1/2.
You just can't stop it. I try to clean it once a year but sometimes not even that, NEVER stops working.
I have a new Stoeger M3500 that looks like it will be the same. It is a monster for recoil but feels great and patterns great with my hand loads. I put a steady grip on it to uses it more for coyotes but birds will fall too. $750 bucks all in
finished-stoeger-c.jpg

I went into the gun store expecting to pick up an 870 for me and my boys. I tried the fit of several and ended up walking out with the Winchester SXP. It fit me and my sons better than the 870.

I expect the chair of the International Shotgun Culture and Ethics Committee will show up to post any moment and set everything right.
The ISCEC is the only organization standing between you & a cheap chinese knock off. You better thank them for their existence.

Buy the gun the kid likes. Fit is more important than brand. Having said that, I like the Browning pumps.

Like you said you never had a problem with a Mossberg 500. I bought mine when I was 14 unfired from my brother because he wanted an 870. I had to replace the magazine tube a couple years back because it had literally worn through from 31 years of shells moving through her. It has killed more deer, turkey, and upland game than I can count. Only thing I have never liked about it was the rattle from the pump.

SXP is a pretty good gun for the money. I sold mine because I didn’t like the fact that every single time I pushed a shell into the bottom it managed to pinch my thumb. After 100 rounds on the clay range that would make me hate it. It fit well and shot well but I still liked my old familiar Mossberg better so I kept it. Older 870s are nearly indestructible but I don’t know that I’d consider anything Remington had done recently to be of that same quality.

My first shotgun is a Benelli Nova that was a Christmas gift 12 years ago. Love that gun. Still going strong, it's been bumped around in ATV and waterfowl hunting in storms without any issue. This gun is slightly long so def best to have your son maneuver it. Highly recommend it not only for an entry gun but for anyone!

Fit is most important (especially for youth shooters). In order of quality (not considering fit) in my experience is Benelli SuperNova, Mossberg 500 series, others, last the 870.

But I would be remiss in not putting in a plug for an affordable semi-auto like the Mossberg 930 series or the Benelli Montefeltro.

Last edited:
I've had an original nova for about 14 years, and it's a great gun. Only problem I've ever had with it is with 3.5 inch shells. If you don't operate the pump with just a bit of purpose they'll occasionally jam. But it's easy to get em out.

I guess I had one other problem with a firing pin, but that was my fault. I didn't clean the gun for probably 5-6 years and it got enough gunk from corn fields and duck blinds to cause the pin to hang up a little when it got real cold. Again, easy fix, and one you won't even have to worry about as long as you aren't completely negligent in cleaning your gun like I was.

Imo I would take the mossberg off the list. Others will disagree I'm sure but I think there junk pick one up and handle it you'll see what I mean.

Not a Mossberg fan either ... but there are worse. Stoeger pump is junk. Almost requires a block and tackle to cycle them. Very rough. And then there's that cheap pump Remington makes, 877. I handled one in Grand Forks Scheels two years ago. The clerk asked me what I thought. "I think I need a shower!" That got a chuckle. Remington 870 Express is about the same. A gunsmith may be able to smooth out the chamber so every other fired shell doesn't get stuck. They rust very easily. Browning BPS are nice guns and I never hear complaints.

Strange to hear the comment about a bad fit with 870. Their pointability has always made them very popular. I've had a Wingmaster magnum 12 gauge since 1968. It has killed a mountain of birds but I've never really been in love with it.
20201014_184235.jpg

Strange to hear the comment about a bad fit with 870.
If you are referencing my remarks, it is confusion caused by unclear writing on my part. I was trying to say choose your gun by fit - and if several guns all fit similarly or can be made to fit with simple adjustment, then choose the better quality of those that fit - per my opinion regarding the relative quality of the pump guns being referenced that I have owned. I was not ranking by fit.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back