Caribou Gear

Puffer coat for glassing?

The Kuiu Superdown is currently one sale what I would buy if I didn't already own my Eddie Bauer first ascent down layer.

Just about all puffy jackets have at least a highly calendared shell fabric that is near windproof and mechanically water resistant to an extent (in addition to DWR). You can certainly get something completely waterproof but it adds a ton of weight. 90% of the time if you need a seriously lofty coat, it's cold enough that precip is a minor issue. In that 10% of conditions where it's pretty cold, and very wet, you'll probably want a synthetic parka, but most of the time it's a lot of bulk and weight for the performance.

High insulation load to overall weight ratio is important to me, but everyone has their priorities. A piece where about 40% or more of the overall weight is in 700-900fp down is a fair benchmark IMO if you want something that's considered "light" for what it offers. If you want more features (more pockets, burlier material, draft tubes, etc.) that becomes a stretch. Everything is a trade off.

The Montbell Alpine and Alpine Light are a great value. Patagonia Fitz Roy is nice. I've used Montbell a lot, in addition to various Rab, Patagonia, Westcomb, and others in belay jackets. We are lucky to have so many great options. I agree with @wllm that if you intend to go synthetic and very warm, your options are basically BD Belay, Arcteryx Fission SV, ID Dolomitti, or a used Patagonia DAS. You want something 180g/m2 or more for a true sit-your-ass-in-the-cold synthetic belay jacket. My two cents.

I went through this last year and ended up buying an Eddie Bauer jacket at about this time of year for ridiculously low price that I no longer remember. It's not quite as thick and warm as I wanted, but I combine that with another REI puffy that I already have and now I have a layered system that is more flexible than one big thick puffy, and cheaper. --- Just another option. Still like to find a really good synthetic option however.

Just bought the Kuiu at sale price $219 came last week its an up grade from my last one for sure

I have a cheap Gerry one from Costco, a marmot one, and a sitka one. They all get used every year on various hunts. I'd say grab the cheap one from Costco for this year and see how much you use it. That way you can see what you like and don't about it before dropping big money. I also have the first lite puffy pants, and those things are game changers!

I would suggest a vest rather than a second jacket. Vest is more compact for daypack and should keep you warm enough. I wear 4-in-1 waterfowl jacket when hunting everything from elk to ducks. The liner jacket I use is from a second 4-in-1 Remington brand I picked up at local Goodwill store (new with tags still attached and only $35!). It zips inside the Scheels 4-in1 I bought two years ago which has a much inferior liner. Remington liner jacket has more insulation, lined with microfleece, and the sleeves zip off. I usually remove the sleeves and keep the fleece side (reversible) against my body (less sweaty than nylon shell side). It's a great combination. I'm usually moving and plenty warm (often too warm). When weather drops to zero or below I add the sleeves. When temps climb up to forties and fifties, the vest comes out and into the daypack or upland vest gamebag.

I have a nice down vest my mom gave me years ago that, curiously enough, will also zip into the Scheels waterfowl jacket (one company must make all Chinese zippers). It's like new because I very seldom wear it. Way too warm! Sweat like a sauna in that thing.

Last edited:
How warm do you want to be? I have a First Lite uncompaghre that stuffs into its own pocket that serves me well down into the teens. Great weight/bulk to warmth balance. I do also have a Kifaru lost parka that is noticeably warmer (and much bulkier). Depends on the conditions and how much stuff I want to bring. I like to wear a down sweater layer and synthetic outer layer.

How warm do you want to be? I have a First Lite uncompaghre that stuffs into its own pocket that serves me well down into the teens. Great weight/bulk to warmth balance. I do also have a Kifaru lost parka that is noticeably warmer (and much bulkier). Depends on the conditions and how much stuff I want to bring. I like to wear a down sweater layer and synthetic outer layer.
I’m thinking if the weather is in the 20s or 30s with some wind…. Just a puffy to throw on while glassing for a few hours when not moving

I’m thinking if the weather is in the 20s or 30s with some wind…. Just a puffy to throw on while glassing for a few hours when not moving
I recommend the Uncompahgre then. That's what I bring when I'm still hunting in the way you describe. Light weight, doesn't take up much space in the pack, and easy to throw on and off when you stop or start moving. My feet end up getting cold enough to encourage me to walk around a little well before my body does.

I am between kuiu, stone glacier and FL…. Kuiu calling to me since it’s on sale and I had a 75$ gift card haha

I got a name brand puffy (I think Outdoor Research) on the clearance rack at a hiking proshop in Ivins, UT for some can’t pass low price (I think $40). It’s an awful baby blue color. But it folds into itself and makes a REALLY nice pillow. It’s also obnoxiously warm when layered under a wind proof shell, but still plenty warm if put on over everything else.

If I’m being honest, I use it more as a pillow than a coat but I’ve had some killer mountain naps because of that thing.

If you do pull the trigger on that sweet camo OR puffy, do yourself a favor and buy their gaiters while you are there. They are so much better than any other brand (talking specifically about you Sitka) and are at least half the price.

Back