Puffer coat for glassing?

CTELK83

I want to add a lightweight, packable puffer coat to my gear list. Heading to Idaho this October for my first mule deer hunt. I know weather can very so much, I was thinking this would be good to keep in my pack when sitting and glassing to stay warm. Curious what everyone thinks and uses?? I don’t care if it’s a $30 coat from amazon or $300 First Lite. Just want something that works
Light
Packable
Wind
Water
Warm

It’s probably a little lighter than you’re after but I keep a Sitka Celsius with me from the first little cold snap on. I used a Patagonia nano puff before that but the Sitka is way quieter. You can slide one of those on under a shell and be good in a pretty good range

I have a glassing dry bag, it has a kuiu pro down set, boot blankets a thick beanie and few handwarmers. Doesnt weigh much, compresses down to about size of a large shoe box and makes it super easy to use. If your intentions are for glassing get the hooded version. Boredom will make me quit usually before temps. I have the pros becuase of extra durability, outerlayer fit and warmth but the ultra will be fine for most people.

If it was my money, I’d get this Outdoor Research Puffy over either the SG or Kuiu.

You can have quality, packability, light weight and cheap but you can only get 3 out of the 4.
This is very spot on and is a universal response for all gear TBH. If you’re willing to give up packability, I recommend First Lite Uncompahgre. I can attest that this jacket will stand up against wind at the top of a peak in 10 deg weather. Thinking of getting one for every day use.

I picked picked up a Marmot Hype a few years ago on closeout. It was ugly orange, but works well to just toss on while glassing and not have to remove/replace my orange vest. Keeps me warm and spends all winter in the back of my pickup with a couple sleeping bags.

800 fill and 14 oz

I picked picked up a Marmot Hype a few years ago on closeout. It was ugly orange, but works well to just toss on while glassing and not have to remove/replace my orange vest. Keeps me warm and spends all winter in the back of my pickup with a couple sleeping bags.

800 fill and 14 oz
Ya I don’t care what it looks like. Just be able to stick in my pack and take out when I need some warmth

I like the Stone Glacier Grumman. Super warm for the weight. I'd consider getting puffy pants as well. They can be a gamechanger.

800 fill and 14 oz
I got the arcteryx nuclei sv, it’s synthetic so a little bulkier than a down jacket.

I got it in grey but now I’m wishing I’d gone with orange so that I could pull in on and not have to screw with a vest.

The current arcteryx puffy lines all have a blaze orange option if someone wants to go that route for a glassing jacket.

I base layer then a merino wool 1/4 zip then a Sitka kelvin light insulation jacket. If it gets cold I pull out the kelvin lite hoody. Been working great for quite a few years.

The three i've used the most are First Lite uncompahgre (had since year the original was released, zipper finally failed), Custom nunatak 3.5 apex synthetic thats about as warm as you can get for the weight with synthetic, and a first lite chamberlin for really cold weather. I'd say if you're planning to spend real time glassing (like sitting for an hour +) in below freezing temperatures, most of the sub 20 ounce light weight stuff aint gonna cut it. IMO you want 8+ ounces of high fill power down and a wind shell if you are going to be sitting for a long time in the nasty stuff. Might be way overkill for lots of days in Oct but you'll want every bit of it on the nasty days.

Western mountaineering Ion parka, sitka kelvin windstopper down (not sure they still make it?), montbell permafrost are the type of jackets i'd like for the nasty days but are more than needed on many days.

If it was my money, I’d get this Outdoor Research Puffy over either the SG or Kuiu.

I don't need another puffy but for that price i almost have to buy it.

The three i've used the most are First Lite uncompahgre (had since year the original was released, zipper finally failed), Custom nunatak 3.5 apex synthetic thats about as warm as you can get for the weight with synthetic, and a first lite chamberlin for really cold weather. I'd say if you're planning to spend real time glassing (like sitting for an hour +) in below freezing temperatures, most of the sub 20 ounce light weight stuff aint gonna cut it. IMO you want 8+ ounces of high fill power down and a wind shell if you are going to be sitting for a long time in the nasty stuff. Might be way overkill for lots of days in Oct but you'll want every bit of it on the nasty days.

Western mountaineering Ion parka, sitka kelvin windstopper down (not sure they still make it?), montbell permafrost are the type of jackets i'd like for the nasty days but are more than needed on many days.

I don't need another puffy but for that price i almost have to buy it.
I just bought the OR puffy jacket and picked up a pair of gaiters for $20. Good deal. They sent me a $20 off coupon to share with someone if your interested

I want to add a lightweight, packable puffer coat to my gear list. Heading to Idaho this October for my first mule deer hunt. I know weather can very so much, I was thinking this would be good to keep in my pack when sitting and glassing to stay warm. Curious what everyone thinks and uses?? I don’t care if it’s a $30 coat from amazon or $300 First Lite. Just want something that works
Light
Packable
Wind
Water
Warm
Bro, my opinion is you can’t miss with REI-brand clothing for value. I have a 5yo quilted down puffy that has to be at least 650 fill. So freakin warm and durable!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back