Public Land Trail Cam Etiquette

You find a trail cam on public land, do you...


  • Total voters
    63
View attachment 418512

The amount of setups I see in the woods now a days that resemble this is absolutely blood boiling. I have had several spots taken over by cell cams, over 5 camers in a few spots on all the water, or major pinch points, whatever is most likely to concentrate animals. They are left up through the hunting season now that it is legal. Even in wilderness areas I will find cell cams. At what point is it not fair chase, or even really hunting?

Sometimes I imagine carrying around some scent lure to rub on the tree so bears will destroy them for me, thus I never interacted with their equipment...
I'm in the don't mess with people's stuff group but this setup is so ridiculous.

I'd be really tempted to show this guy what I ate for breakfast or I'd consider repurposing a strip of the electrical tape in my pack for the lens.

I guess taking a deuce nearby would deter animal activity in the area without damaging anyone's personal property. Maybe throw a dollar bill on top for good measure. Might be time to go exchange some coins for a few Mexican bills at the bank being that the economy is rough out here.
 
Real-Time Transmission Ban: Montana prohibits using any electronic device, including cellular or remote-operated cameras, to transmit real-time pictures, videos, or location data to guide a same-day or active hunt.

Does that mean you can use them but not hunt the area the same day a photo is taken? I dont know?
Here’s the actual reg:

Motion-Tracking Devices
(MCA 87-6-401)

It is unlawful for a person, while hunting, to use any electronic motion-tracking device or mechanism that is designed to track the motion of a game animal and relay information on the animal’s movement to the hunter.

Motion tracking devices are defined by F&W Commission as remote operated camera or video devices capable of transmitting real time information, pictures, or videos; seismic devices; thermal imaging devices; and satellite and radio telemetry devices.

A radio-tracking collar attached to a dog that is used by a hunter engaged in lawful hunting activities is not considered an unlawful motion-tracking device.
 
Here’s the actual reg:

Motion-Tracking Devices
(MCA 87-6-401)

It is unlawful for a person, while hunting, to use any electronic motion-tracking device or mechanism that is designed to track the motion of a game animal and relay information on the animal’s movement to the hunter.

Motion tracking devices are defined by F&W Commission as remote operated camera or video devices capable of transmitting real time information, pictures, or videos; seismic devices; thermal imaging devices; and satellite and radio telemetry devices.

A radio-tracking collar attached to a dog that is used by a hunter engaged in lawful hunting activities is not considered an unlawful motion-tracking device.
I went right to the fish and game office here in town after I looked that up. They told me the camera can be up during hunting season, but you can not actively hunt the area a pic was taken if it was on cell camera. They stated it's a law that needs a lot of clean up and leaves a lot of gray area so expect it to change in the near future.
 
It’s also important to use extremely cheap cameras so you don’t care if you lose one. I’m all for a ban on them. Wouldn’t hurt my feelings at all.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Hem
It’s also important to use extremely cheap cameras so you don’t care if you lose one. I’m all for a ban on them. Wouldn’t hurt my feelings at all.
I heard an influencer from MT mention on a podcast today that he has about 65 cameras out. The model of camera he uses is about $140. That’s $9100 just for the cameras. He’s also mentioned that he puts 128gb SD cards in the ones that he leaves out all year. Those average about $50 a piece. He also uses security boxes on a lot of them. That’s a lot of coin.
 
  • Haha
Reactions: DFS

Forum statistics

Threads
120,126
Messages
2,250,610
Members
39,096
Latest member
Zmt406
Back
Top