Public Land Trail Cam Etiquette

You find a trail cam on public land, do you...


  • Total voters
    54
It makes me really angry when they are put out to monitor people on public versus animals. I have found 2 this year already that were right on closed roads near parking areas. Feels like a creeper is watching me. Wish I had it in me to mess with those cams.

Full disclosure, I hang non-cell cams sometimes for fun. I do hide them well and try not to put them on any trails or areas people may be on. I would be fine with someone looking at the card and then putting it back sans batwing.
 
I mean where do you draw the line? If they are legal to be there as much as i think they shouldnt why mess with someone's personal property?? Can i go through your camp and look what is in your cooler? go through your tent to see what gear you have as long as i dont take anything if you are camping on public property?? Maybe you left your truck unlocked in a public parking lot does that give me the right to go through it if i dont take anything? no harm no foul right?
 
@Nameless Range I like your point. It would definitely invite some issues if someone found you checking their card, off the bat at least.

@Jamen The difference is a trail camera is left out for months if not years typically. A camp, cooler, tent, and truck are not.

We came across a camp of 4 tents, shoes outside of them but they were wide open. Knife, packs, water filters hanging on trees. Friend, I, and his injured German Shepard needed water bad after coming off a bad section of the mtn with no water filter. We called for the owners and walked around camp but no one answered. It was clearly a fresh setup. Best guess is they saw 2 dudes with guns, camo, and a german shepard in their camp, thought we were the police, so they hid from us cause we were on mushrooms lol. We left their stuff alone and drank from a spring nearby.

Ive also found some abandoned gear and a car and definitely took a look. Packed out the abandoned gear, reported the likely stolen car.

Looks like the poll is at 80% leave it alone. No arguing that the vast majority find it unethical. Case closed.
 
@Nameless Range I like your point. It would definitely invite some issues if someone found you checking their card, off the bat at least.

@Jamen The difference is a trail camera is left out for months if not years typically. A camp, cooler, tent, and truck are not.

We came across a camp of 4 tents, shoes outside of them but they were wide open. Knife, packs, water filters hanging on trees. Friend, I, and his injured German Shepard needed water bad after coming off a bad section of the mtn with no water filter. We called for the owners and walked around camp but no one answered. It was clearly a fresh setup. Best guess is they saw 2 dudes with guns, camo, and a german shepard in their camp, thought we were the police, so they hid from us cause we were on mushrooms lol. We left their stuff alone and drank from a spring nearby.

Ive also found some abandoned gear and a car and definitely took a look. Packed out the abandoned gear, reported the likely stolen car.

Looks like the poll is at 80% leave it alone. No arguing that the vast majority find it unethical. Case closed.
I understand that a lot of trail cameras get left out way too long and i dont think they need to be on public land in the first place. But to mess with someones personally property no matter what it is seems wrong to me even if no ill intent was ment.
 
Back
Top