Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Public Land Thieves

TM0218

Well I got a real taste of hunting Florida public land today. A week or so ago I had found a nice deer trail going into an ag field and thought “well this would be a cool place to try out a trail cam.” So I ordered the camera, took it out and got it all set up. A few days later (too soon I know but patience was wearing thin) I went back to check and was so excited to see what I had caught. What do I find though? A bare tree trunk. Yup, stolen. On my very first attempt at using a trail cam ever. Words can’t describe how furious I am.

I had one stolen 8 miles from the road the other day. I also almost stepped on a snake when I set it and when I went to pick it up and it’s gone!

Filthy, dirty no good, slimy, well you get it....

I've had three stolen. All of the ones stolen have had one thing in common: they're placed at normal height. I've never had one get stolen that I place 1-2 steps up. People dont notice them and they also have to go through too much effort to climb to get them.

I also dont put anything on public land except the walmart tascos.

I’ve had cameras stolen off my own land. I’ve also found other people’s cameras on my land. I stopped getting excited about cameras because of thieves.

Yeah, it’s such a shame because especially on public I feel like it has the potential to give that little bit of extra motivation. I guess people feel like they need it more than the owner does though

Not trying to defend anyone, but I know from experience that a black bear will remove and destroy cameras. It happens to folks around here also. Granted Pa. is heavily populated by the blackies so we may have more "theft" but it is a reality to consider.

I had one stolen 8 miles from the road the other day. I also almost stepped on a snake when I set it and when I went to pick it up and it’s gone!

Filthy, dirty no good, slimy, well you get it....

I hear you... We had 3 stolen this year elk hunting.... Ours were multiple miles back in - no place that a hiker or person would just happen across... That was probably the thing that surprised or bothered me the most - that another fellow elk hunter that knew the effort it took to get those hung would just take them....

It sucks, and its immoral, but if it's on public land, is it legally stealing? Seriously asking, I don't know the answer. Wondering if it could almost be considered litter once you leave it in the woods. You're a piece of crap if you do take someone else's things off of public land, but can you be arrested for it?

It sucks, and its immoral, but if it's on public land, is it legally stealing? Seriously asking, I don't know the answer. Wondering if it could almost be considered litter once you leave it in the woods. You're a piece of crap if you do take someone else's things off of public land, but can you be arrested for it?
Get caught doing that in Az. and your DONE! There's lots of places
to NOT find you...Nuff' Said. 🔥

I wouldn't have taken it. that said. IMHO, anyone who would leave a camera on public land and not expect it to be stolen at best naïve , at worst a complete fool.

I wouldn't have taken it. that said. IMHO, anyone who would leave a camera on public land and not expect it to be stolen at best naïve , at worst a complete fool.

How is it different than a car parked on a public street?

How is it different than a car parked on a public street?
smaller. one takes pictures, one transports people. one is easy to slip in a pocket while the other is a bit tougher to walk off with.

if I were to leavemy car unlocked on a public street , I would not be surprised to come back and find it gone or at least find things stolen from inside. anyone who would do so, in this society we live, in is an idiot.

let's face it ,MOST (not all) people will steal anything they think they can get away with.

I think it's great for folks to be naïve and have faith in their fellow man (more power to em) but a wise man locks his stuff up.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tomcat1984
Back