Public land mule deer hunt with a 6.5-284 Borden Alpine clone XP-100

Ernie

Dan Ekstrom and I have been looking for a shooter mule deer buck on public land.
For this area, Tuesday was the last day, and we put over 8 miles in.
It all took place just as we were getting close to running out of legal hunting time
I was shooting a center-grip single-shot Borden Alpine clone XP-100 action, chambered in 6.5-284 with the 140 grain Nosler AB at 588 yards. Bullet worked great. He was slightly quartering toward us.
Right after the shot he moved to the left about 30-40 yards, and looked like he was going down...doing the wobble/stumble thing.
Given the fact that it was close to the end of legal shooting, and with Dan’s encouragement, I sent a 2nd one.
We discovered it wasn’t needed upon quartering him (the drops were spot on), but we wanted to be sure.
He will be nice and tasty.
I truly appreciate Dan for helping me pack him out-Quartered him in the field. It was late thirty when I got home.
Michael DeLoach of Nine Run Gun built this Borden Alpine clone XP and it hammers! Brux barrel, Holland brake, Dell trigger, McMillan stock, Burris XTR-III 3.3-18x50 with the SCR MOA reticle. It shoots so good it is just wrong!
PoIdQIxl.jpg

Y9leGVul.jpg