Public land hunting Closure in Alaska

brocksw

Stole this link description from BHA Alaska. Honestly, I don't know much about it myself as this is the first I've seen of it.

Hunting caribou and moose in the Alaska backcountry embodies the challenge, adventure and solitude so many of us desire.

Backcountry Hunters & Anglers has a history of working to protect the wild landscapes these critters inhabit and the science-based opportunities for hunting that go along with them. Under a new proposal, some of those opportunities are at risk.

Late last week, a public hearing was announced on Temporary Wildlife Special Action Request WSA21-01, which would impact caribou and moose hunting in Units 23 and 26A in Northwest Alaska, home to the Western Arctic Caribou Herd.

Submitted by the Northwest Subsistence Regional Advisory Council, the special action request, if adopted, would close these public lands to caribou and moose hunting to anyone who is not a federally qualified subsistence user. The justification for this requested closure is based on public testimony and anecdotal evidence that increased air traffic during the months of August and September is delaying caribou migration.

BHA believes that management of our fish and game populations should be guided by current, peer-reviewed science. Presently there is no biological concern to merit this proposed closure, with no significant information available to support the assertion that air traffic has delayed caribou migration. Over the last two decades, subsistence harvest of caribou has remained high and the population remains above any objective targets that would warrant action. Based on this, we are asking the Federal Subsistence Board to reject this special action request. Our Alaska chapter is preparing to testify in opposition of this request at the public hearing scheduled on April 23.

Learn more about the public meeting, caribou populations and historical harvest numbers in the area in question and sign BHA’s petition in support of management focused on cooperation, education, stewardship and ethical values.

Backcountry Hunters and Anglers - Alaska Chapter

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back