Caribou Gear

PRS Match @ The Lead Farm

What are the common cartridges you guys used at this last match and if know bullet weights?

I really want to build a 6 Dasher or similar and play these games (as if I didn't have enough expensive hobbies)
Jump down that rabbit hole, smoke your credit card and don't look back! Like all hobbies a guy can really tie up some serious $ in this sport, but there are reasonable alternatives as well. Sounds like you've done some research on the sport as right now the 6mm rifles are the most common, with the Dasher being as popular as anything else. (6BR, 6BR Ackley, 6GT, 6 Creed, 6x47, etc.) 6mm bullets seem to be 105s with some guys running heavier. There are still quite a few 6.5mm rifles with 130 to 140 being common weights. Me, I'm past my prime (if there ever was a prime) so I have to run an oddball to stand out, I shoot a 25 Creedmoor and 131 bullets. I'm sure you can find closer matches to SW Montana, but if you get bored come on over.

Last edited:
Jump down that rabbit hole, smoke your credit card and don't look back! Like all hobbies a guy can really tie up some serious $ in this sport, but there are reasonable alternatives as well. Sounds like you've done some research on the sport as right now the 6mm rifles are the most common, with the Dasher being as popular as anything else. (6BR, 6BR Ackley, 6GT, 6 Creed, 6x47, etc.) 6mm bullets seem to be 105s with some guys running heavier. There are still quite a few 6.5mm rifles with 130 to 140 being common weights. Me, I'm past my prime (if there ever was a prime) so I have to run an oddball to stand out, I shoot a 25 Creedmoor and 131 bullets. I'm sure you can find closer matches to SW Montana, but if you get bored come on over.
Thanks I think there is a group outside of Bozeman though we've talked of doing a redneck PRS version with a few friends. I think I spied a Savage rifle in the pics too.

6 Dasher just seems to be where I was thinking. I see plenty of 105s but saw some 112 and 115s though law of diminishing returns probably leads me back to 105s.

The 25CM with 131 Blackjacks seems to be a perfect setup too.

Thanks I think there is a group outside of Bozeman though we've talked of doing a redneck PRS version with a few friends. I think I spied a Savage rifle in the pics too.

6 Dasher just seems to be where I was thinking. I see plenty of 105s but saw some 112 and 115s though law of diminishing returns probably leads me back to 105s.

The 25CM with 131 Blackjacks seems to be a perfect setup too.

They do a couple ‘hunter’ matches in Lewistown every year. One of these matches would be a great way to dip your toes into the sport.

You’ll see a wide range of rifles at these matches. Prices of rifle setups will range anywhere from $1 to $10k+. Don’t get hung up on rifles or calibers though. If you have a scope with a turret and a decent reticle in it, show up and have run. Not having a detachable mag will be frustrating but it’s doable without one. I shot my first match with a BDL 7 mag. Got a lot of funny looks from ROs at that one....

They do a couple ‘hunter’ matches in Lewistown every year. One of these matches would be a great way to dip your toes into the sport.

You’ll see a wide range of rifles at these matches. Prices of rifle setups will range anywhere from $1 to $10k+. Don’t get hung up on rifles or calibers though. If you have a scope with a turret and a decent reticle in it, show up and have run. Not having a detachable mag will be frustrating but it’s doable without one. I shot my first match with a BDL 7 mag. Got a lot of funny looks from ROs at that one....
Agreed, if you have an interest just test it out. I shot my first match with my 270 WSM and I've seen a young man at a few matches where he was using his hunting rifle and doing holdovers (no turrets to twist) and doing quite well.

I do have a Savage 12LRP in 6.5 that shoots really well but it definitely needs a new scope. It's a heavy rifle but does have a 4rnd box magazine. Might be fun...maybe once ski season is over I'll have time to tinker

I do have a Savage 12LRP in 6.5 that shoots really well but it definitely needs a new scope. It's a heavy rifle but does have a 4rnd box magazine. Might be fun...maybe once ski season is over I'll have time to tinker

I have a feeling that rifle will be considered ‘light’ in this game. There are guys lugging around 25+lb rifles.

I'd throw a Bushnell DMR on there (currently $750 at Midway), thread for brake, and roll with it for a bit.

I'd throw a Bushnell DMR on there (currently $750 at Midway), thread for brake, and roll with it for a bit.
I've been eyeing the same scope for awhile but with the illuminated reticle. This rifle serves double duty as a hunting rifle also and FFP reticles are hard for me to see at the fringes of the day so illumination is almost a must for me. I missed out on the LRTSi and I hear a version II may be reintroduced this year in some format

@fishing4sanity very cool hobby it seems. And deadly serious for some (my second cousin is Buffalo Creek Precision machinist/owner.....saw the hat of one of his shooters in the first section of photos). I imagine many of the shooters who shoot regularly have had military long range (sniper) instruction.

Question: in your action photos I see many shooters have wrapped or added material to the front portion of their scopes. Is this a fashion thing, or does it serve a purpose?

@fishing4sanity very cool hobby it seems. And deadly serious for some (my second cousin is Buffalo Creek Precision machinist/owner.....saw the hat of one of his shooters in the first section of photos). I imagine many of the shooters who shoot regularly have had military long range (sniper) instruction.

Question: in your action photos I see many shooters have wrapped or added material to the front portion of their scopes. Is this a fashion thing, or does it serve a purpose?
I saw several guys at the match with the Buffalo Creek Precision logo. Interesting how the world at times doesn't seem so big and connections between people appear in strange places. There are a lot of vets and some current military & LEO at these matches, everything from special forces to farmers (like me and my sons) can be found at a match. The wrap on the scopes is usually done to protect against scratches and dings. Some of these scopes are very expensive and many of the shooting props/barricades are tight openings, other guys like a few scars.

Back