Protecting Spinning Decoy Electronics

Runnin_Chupacabra

I just bought a baby mojo spinning decoy and super stoked on putting it to use this fall! Only thing that worries me is when the door on the decoy is shut there is a fair amount of space for water to get in if it were to rain. Thought of covering the space with electrical tape in the field, might not look as natural but thought I'd see if anyone else has any experience and/pr ideas? Nothing is worse than water getting into the battery/electronics.

P.S.: after this hunt below I discovered why everyone had push carts for their decoys at the refuge. Was a walk of death carrying 30 decoys through the marsh.

IMG_7431.jpeg

I have found spinning decoys to be effective with sunlight to “flash” that wing at passing birds. If it’s raining typically there isn’t too much sun so I wouldn’t be using it. A simple ziploc over components might work as well, but I don’t recall the internals of those in particular.

I have the same issue, all I use now is some duct tape. I suppose I could call it "duck" tape 🤣🤣 but I haven't had issues, yet!

I haven't had any issues with mine getting wet under the cover. Been using them for many years, but I also haven't been in too many downpours. Not sure it would be an issue or not.

I've had decoys topple over and they kept running under water as I was hustling out to upright them. Didn't seem to effect their functionality

Yup I've had mine go underwater too many time while they were running and only once did I have an issue which basically was the switch wouldn't always work so it took a couple on/off cycles to get it started. I've had them in sleet and rain and it's never been an issue. The motor is suspended off the body anyways so it would take a ton of water to even get to the motor. Of you are worries just drill a hole in the bottom to let any incoming water drip out. But really it's a non issue

I just tried that self cling camo wrap and it works well. I just cut holes for the wing attachments. It kind of takes away from the natural look so I'd only use it on sunny days!

3 weeks away until early goose! I can't wait!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back