Proposed "No Hunting" Buffer on Mississippi's Malmaison WMA

jwatts

At the September Mississippi Department of Wildlife Commission meeting, a representative of a hunting club proposed a 100 yard no hunting buffer between the McIntyre Scatters portion of Malmaison WMA and their property boundary. This was proposed in the name of safety.

Mississippi's Malmaison WMA is a state wildlife management area in the North Delta region of the state. This roughly 9,483 acre piece of property contains a mix of habitat as it sits right at the intersection of the loess hills and the Yalobusha and Mississippi River floodplains. This WMA is known for its abundance of wildlife, including waterfowl.

The McIntyre Scatters section of Malmaison is mostly known for its waterfowl hunting. There is a current proposal to restrict hunting within this section.
  1. This proposal was brought forth on behalf of a private hunting club, Leflore County Hunting and Fishing.
  2. If the proposed rule goes through, hunters would not be able to hunt within 100 yards of the westernmost border of Malmaison WMA.
  3. This would effectively eliminate hunting on 40 plus acres of this already small parcel of the management area. (roughly 1/3 of the huntable area of the duck hole)
This proposal takes away hunting opportunities, crowds hunters into a smaller area, and could set a dangerous precedent for other management areas. It's a sad day when a private landowner can show up to a commission meeting, propose a no hunting buffer, and actually get it worked into the proposed rules. There's some good ole boy politics in work here no doubt. They want to treat this portion of the WMA as their personal duck hole. They are doing their best to prevent pressure from the public land hunters. The bad part is, the landowner cannot even access their land unless they use the public boat ramp on the WMA. They want to use the public land to access their private duck hole, all while trying to eliminate the public hunters from hunting too close to their line.

If you're interested in learning more or voicing your opinion, you can do so at the following links:
Southeast Chapter BHA Petition
Proposed Malmaison WMA Rule Change
MDWFP comment form
September Commission Meeting on YouTube The proposal by a representative from the hunting club is around the 18 minute mark
November Commission Meeting on YouTube The representative of the MDWFP discusses the proposal around the 16 minute mark

Also, if anyone is interested, you can voice your opinion with Russ Walsh at the Enid office of the MDWFP at 601-432-2199

Attachments

• image (1).jpg
    image (1).jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Malmaison WMA CTA (Instagram Post).jpg
    Malmaison WMA CTA (Instagram Post).jpg
    409 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
@jwatts What are the rules for the state of Mississippi regarding open water law? Can a person launch a boat and then legally travel via water onto this private area of land and hunt?

I am not a fan of buffers that limit hunting/shooting. They make little sense, always seem to favor one contingent, and are typically a changing of the rules after the game has started.

I've never hunted here or likely ever will, but I will send a comment.

@jwatts What are the rules for the state of Mississippi regarding open water law? Can a person launch a boat and then legally travel via water onto this private area of land and hunt?
In this case, no. This isn't considered a "navigable waterway". In a navigable waterway you can hunt within the normal high water mark, but not outside of that. Since this is a backwater slough outside of that mark, the property boundaries are still in play.

In this case, no. This isn't considered a "navigable waterway". In a navigable waterway you can hunt within the normal high water mark, but not outside of that. Since this is a backwater slough outside of that mark, the property boundaries are still in play.
So restricted open water law. Lame.

So glad I live and waterfowl hunt in a state with full open water law. If you can float a canoe its navigable. If you keep your feet literally wet, its open to almost all public use.

Seems they could achieve the same level of safety by not hunting their property within 100 yards of the WMA. Perhaps a counter proposal to not allow hunting within 100 yards of the border of the WMA is in order. In the name of safety.

I am not a fan of buffers that limit hunting/shooting. They make little sense, always seem to favor one contingent, and are typically a changing of the rules after the game has started.

I've never hunted here or likely ever will, but I will send a comment.

I will likely never hunt here either. But, I can see neighboring landowners at my local WMA following suit if this rule sticks. Thanks for your support.

Seems they could achieve the same level of safety by not hunting their property within 100 yards of the WMA. Perhaps a counter proposal to not allow hunting within 100 yards of the border of the WMA is in order. In the name of safety.
Funny you mention that. In the September meeting where it was proposed, the commissioner made that statement. If 100yd is the buffer, then it should be 50yd on either side. The representative of the club refused and basically said they planned to hunt up to the line.

Funny you mention that. In the September meeting where it was proposed, the commissioner made that statement. If 100yd is the buffer, then it should be 50yd on either side. The representative of the club refused and basically said they planned to hunt up to the line.

Just watched the video. His argument as to why they shouldn't have to move away from the line is because they tend to face the other way. Geez.

The example he gave was pretty nuts. Some guys that were hunting on public--before he and his buddies went out there--were 57 yards away from where they ultimately set up. He was outraged that guys were hunting on public too close to where he wanted to hunt on private, and that after he and his buddies started hunting the other guys were "dangerously close." The other guys didn't move. He set up next to somebody else and then claimed that it wasn't safe.

Just watched the video. His argument as to why they shouldn't have to move away from the line is because they tend to face the other way. Geez.

The example he gave was pretty nuts. Some guys that were hunting on public--before he and his buddies went out there--were 57 yards away from where they ultimately set up. He was outraged that guys were hunting on public too close to where he wanted to hunt on private, and that after he and his buddies started hunting the other guys were "dangerously close." The other guys didn't move. He set up next to somebody else and then claimed that it wasn't safe.
That pretty much sums it up. There is a hard 4am opening at the ramp. He has to use the public ramp to get to his land. He's mad because someone got to his hole before him basically.

LOL...I'd pay good money to see the faces of most on this board when they see their first sunrise over the Scatters.

Back when I was kicking around in that part of the world, LCHFC folks were starting rumors on the web about the "El Camino Gang" beating the hell outta anybody that wasn't local at the ramp to try and scare folks off. Guess they've decided on a more sophisticated approach...

LOL...I'd pay good money to see the faces of most on this board when they see their first sunrise over the Scatters.

Back when I was kicking around in that part of the world, LCHFC folks were starting rumors on the web about the "El Camino Gang" beating the hell outta anybody that wasn't local at the ramp to try and scare folks off. Guess they've decided on a more sophisticated approach...

Probably the same crew, but too old to bust heads these days.

Seems only fair if we can't hunt 100 yards of public they can't hunt 100 yards of private either..... Lets just have a lose lose situation and have a no mans land where hunting cannot exist.

Strangest thing I've heard in a while, hope it gets rejected

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back