Pronghorn Stew

tarheel

Just got up from my second meal of a stew made with goat; the recipe for which I found in the Feb. issue of Field & Stream. The author calls for moose, elk, deer, or caribou, but I had more goat than anything else, so that's what went into it. I didn't have all the ingredients on hand, so 22 bucks later I was ready to go, and the outcome was well worth the expenditure. 3.5 lbs. of meat and religious adherence to the recipe produces about 14 generous servings of some excellent food, so if you like to cook and are looking for some rib sticking victuals to get you through these cold spells, this is the ticket.

I've been told I make a pretty good stew, but it comes out different everytime I make it since there's no recipe for it...lol I just made some chili last weekend out of ground elk, deer, antelope, and wild boar sausage. I took some in to one of my classes one night and it was enjoyed by everyone. It made me happy that people were willing to eat it with the wild game meat in it.

By the way...how are you and your wife doing? I hope all is well.

I've been told I make a pretty good stew, but it comes out different everytime I make it since there's no recipe for it...lol I just made some chili last weekend out of ground elk, deer, antelope, and wild boar sausage. I took some in to one of my classes one night and it was enjoyed by everyone. It made me happy that people were willing to eat it with the wild game meat in it.

By the way...how are you and your wife doing? I hope all is well.

Long story John; I'll send off a PM when I have enough time to give you all the details. Thanks for the asking.

Big game stew recipe

Tried to find the recipe on the F&S web site, but not there, so here goes:

Ingredients:

3-4 pounds of big game stew meat cut into 1" pieces

3 Tbsp vegetable or olive oil

1 onion sliced

1 Tbsp curry powder, divided

2 bay leaves

2 juniper berries

2 cups chicken stock

1 cup cream

1/2 cup cider vinegar

1/2 cup cup cooking sherry

1/2 cup port wine. I just used some wine I had on hand (cheaper)

a few small carrots and 1 parsnip cut into pieces.

2 Tbsp Mascarpone cheese ( this is just an expensive type of cream cheese, so I used the cheaper Philadelphia type)

6 bacon slices , finely diced

2 Tbsp or so of roughly chopped peanuts or almonds

1 cup of red pearl onions, I used white ones (easier to find) calls for red ones mostly for color and presentation

1 Tbsp honey

2 apples cored and cut into 1/8 thick slices (I like Gala for cooking)

1 cup shredded spinach

1 Tbsp grated horseradish (white or red Russian, whichever is available)

1 Tbsp coarsely chopped parsley

Heat the oil in a dutch oven ( the Cuisinart or similar brands of enameled cast iron 5 liter ovens work great). Season the meat with salt and pepper. Saute the meat, onion and 1/2 Tbsp curry powder until golden, about 8 minutes. Add the bay leaves, juniper berries, and 4 cups of water. Season with salt and pepper, bring to a simmer, and cook for 40 minutes.

Pour in the stock, vinegar, port, sherry, and one cup of water, and stir these up before adding the cream so it won't curdle. Now add cream, bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes, then add the carrot and parsnip ( I also added three diced Yukon Gold potatoes, as the recipe seemed to be vegetable deficient.), simmer until veggies are tender, about 20 minutes. Stir in the cream cheese.

While the stew is cooking, heat a large saute pan over low heat. Cook the bacon until it's crispy, about 10 minutes. Drain the grease from the pan, leaving 2 Tbsp. Add peanuts or almonds and remaining 1/2 Tbsp curry powder and saute until the nuts are toasted, about 2 minutes. Add the pearl onions and saute for another 5 minutes, then add the honey and apples and stir to coat. Cook for another 3 minutes. Add the spinach and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. Adjust for seasoning with salt and pepper. Mix in with the stew just before serving.

Garnish with horseradish and parsley and serve.

Like any recipe, this one can be tweaked around some, but you might have noticed that it was nearly devoid of spices, and that's where the horseradish comes in, because it tends to put the finishing touch on the dish in my opinion Enjoy!!! RT

Back