Pronghorn Spot and Stalk Broadhead

teej89

Unless my searching skills are awful I can't believe this topic hasn't been covered.

This fall I'm planning a little 4-5 day archery pronghorn hunt. I typically used 125gr slick trick magnums for everything because it's either be tree stand hunting deer or elk hunting and never really worried about speed. I'd rather have the extra weight for pentration, proved good last year with a double lung pass through at 45yds on my bull. And now I know penetration isn't as big of a deal on an antelope.

With spot and stalk, I know more about underwater basket weaving than spot and stalk pronghorn hunting. Should I consider going to 100gr as the animals may be leary and pinned on my location and could jump the string? If hate to go to 100s come hunt and resight in 125s for the weekend when elk opens. Also I'm no "long range archer", I'm not launching arrows 75yds.

Stay with 125gr or go to 100gr?

Stick with what you're shooting now. Switching arrow weight mid-season is nonsense.
Antelope are definitely fast enough to jump the string, it's just part of the game. Dropping 25 grains wont get you enough speed to matter but it will change your POI. Be patient and move slow. Get close.

I think you ought to just use what you're familiar with, unless you just want to try something different. Those slicks will fly through a pronghorn with out noticeably slowing down. They're a little heavy but I doubt going lighter will help with string jumping.

Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've shot 4 bucks with archery gear and never had one jump the string. I hardly bowhunt whitetail anymore but those are the string-jumpingest critters I've ever seen. I could never tell when they might do it either. I've had them head down, grazing contentedly and drop completely under the arrow. Like I said, maybe I've been lucky, but my impression is that antelope are a bit less edgy than most big game animals. But generally if they get spooky they're a cloud of dust on the horizon about 3 seconds later.

I’d stick with you have already. Changing weights mid-season sounds like a bunch of unnecessary work. I don’t think you’ll have any problems with your current setup.

GrowingDeerTV has a great video on YouTube about string jumping by the way. Apparently deer with their head down can jump the string easier than deer with their head up. The neck acts as a lever to help drop their shoulders quickly. I’m assuming it would be similar for pronghorns.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it! You should be alright as long as the pronghorn isn't staring directly at you as you shoot. There's always a chance though. That's part of what makes bow hunting a challenge!

From what I’ve seen with very limited antelope archery hunting is they seem to be less jumpy when your out doing spot and stalk. When sitting a blind over water they seem very jump, I think a lot of them know/remember that the blind means they could get shot at!

Stick with whatever your currently using, 25 grains won't make that much difference. You will NEVER beat the string jump. Whitetail can drop about 12" in .25 seconds. Not sure what pronghorn can do, but has to be close.

Lopes are one the few animals that think a streamline mechinal head shines. I killed my last one with a raptor trick

I shoot 125 grain Grimm reapers for antelope and have had no problem getting it there. My longest shot was 113 yards and it was just fine

Use your current set up or go to a true light weight super fast set up you use strictly for pronghorns. 25 grains less weight screwed on the same arrows will only mess up your sights.

Now if you want to go to a small diameter shaft, 5 grains per pound total arrow weight, small low profile fletching, with a light mechanical out of a 6 inch or less brace height speed bow - then you will gain an advantage to help shoot longer hunting distances at pronghorns. But it will come at a cost of critical shooting and tuning. Have fun! Good luck!

Back