Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Processing and Cooking Pronghorn

Hide the backstraps. I'm selfish with those. mtmuley
My daughter, son-in-law and grandson were recently here to visit from tenessee.
They went home with a cooler full of frozen venison and antelope including backstraps from last year's lope & mule deer and from my Minnesota whitetail!
I really miss it and am waiting for my Wyoming trip this year to replenish my meat supplies. In the past few years I've been putting the chop packages on the bottom of the bag before they hit the freezer. I have a lot of grinder meat leftover and my plans to make sausage this year went by the wayside after i had my stroke and I didn't get that far. Rather than making my own I can bring it to a known sausage maker nearby.

Sweet. Doing my 1st antelope hunt this year. I have 2 doe tags. Would they both fit in a yeti 65 or is that too small?
@mstevens317

Boneless and already frozen, it would be easy to fit both in a 65. If you are needing ice and not you are not yet off the bone, it can become quite the difficult tetris puzzle to get it all to fit, and have enough ice to do the cooling needed.

I do my own butchering. If you can do deer yourself, you can do an antelope. It takes me 1/2 to one hour now to break down an antelope into primals and then cut it up.

The front quarters I have cut up into one inch cubes and I later grind it for either hamburger or sausage. Exception is I sometimes cut the flatirons from the shoulders.

Tenderloins are fairly small but tasty. Cook them low and slow whole.

Back straps, I cut into 1/2 inch chops. Wife and I like them on thin side. Tasty steaks.

Neck meat I have cut up for stew meat, really good. For this reason I cut the head off right behind the scalp.

Both hind quarters have good roasts, sirloin tip, top round, bottom round. The eye of round can be cooked tender but you have to cook it slow and long and I would measure internal temps. Rest I have cut up into stew meat.

The hocks from both front and back I cut into whole units and freeze. They are good slow cooked like a roast spiced up and all to taste.

The heart and liver is very good.

Ribs and brisket are good fixed properly. St Louis style ribs are great smokes and bbq on the grill. Not much in the brisket but chewy.

The speedgoat oysters are good. I bread them and deep fry.

Key to taste is proper care of meat in the field and plenty of posts on that to explain why. The antelope I shot last year has no wild gamey taste at all and my hunting buddies will bear witness to that this year because I plan to cook some for them.

I should add that I do not use gutless method and I leave it on the bone until after the rigor stage is passed. Usually 24 hours is enough. I debone next day but I live within an hour of where I hunt. A whole antelope quartered up minus feet will fit in a large cooler. Igloo makes a 165 qt cooler that will work just fine.

Last edited:
Backstraps cut into 1/3's
Large roasts sliced 1/4" thick for whole muscle jerky marinating
Shanks cut for braising and used for tacos
about 3 or 4 pounds kept for stew / fajita style meat
the rest is ground with some pork snack sticks - Hi Mountain Snackin Stick Kits are my go to.

For the love of all that is good and holy, do not let anyone know you've got antelope meat!! Be selfish and hoard it all!!!

Like others have said, keep it clean and get it on ice ASAP. I try and keep as much as possible in steaks and roasts, then grind up the rest. Bacon wrapped antelope loin is heavenly!

1.jpg

2.jpg

Then again, antelope burger bombs aren't too shabby either. ;)

3.jpg4.jpg

Last edited:
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hardan9
Back