Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Problems with the Winchester model 70 extreme weather?

• Thread starter Deleted member 38069
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 38069

Has anyone bought a extreme weather recently? If so, have you had any accuracy issues? I'm looking hard at buying one chambered in .300 win mag. Just doing my research because on Cabelas.com it got poor reviews. Thanks!

I bought one a couple years ago in 300 short. It is a nice gun and with 180gr federal trophy bonded its under moa. I did have itbedded and recrowned though.
I have been thinking of selling it, as it just sits in the safe. Maybe 100 rounds thru it.

i really can't find anything wrong with it. Not real heavy, not super lightweight. Fit and finish seem to be what you would expect.

I have two of the older EW South Carolina manufactured rifles.....A better rifle I could not think of. Both extremely accurate with little load experimenting and fit/finish is excellent.

I have not looked at the newer EW rifles.

If I were you, I'd take a look at buying mtguy's rifle. It's proven.

What specifically did the reviews address? I always take internet reviews with a big grain of salt. Just because a guy couldn't get his rifle to shoot doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad rifle. I don't know how many times I've had someone bring a firearm to me and say it has a problem. The first step is to put it in the hands of a different shooter and see if we can replicate the issue. Most times we can't, which means it was the original nut behind the trigger.

Review number 1 "I purchased this rifle, and properly broke in the barrel (1 shot, cool, clean,ect...) more like extreme non accuracy. Dont purchase this rifle. Bad ju ju. Best group in 55 degree weather was 4”. I can shoot well. I have allot of shooting/ reloading experience (40+ years). They improperly bedded the recoil lug and left a big glob attatched to the barrel just in front of the recoil lug."

Review 2 "I bought 2 of these rifles in 300 Win mag. The serial numbers are 2 apart. Neither of these rifles will shoot under 2 inches with ANY load. Most groups were in the 4 inch range. I have tried factory loads and handloads with bullets ranging from 130 to 208 grains. This was off a lead sled with a Vortex Viper PST scopes. Currently both of these rifles are back at Winchester and were sent there by a certified Winchester gunsmith. The gunsmith stated he had 4 other identical rifles in his shop that were the same caliber that were doing the same thing. All are being sent back to Winchester."

Those are the two most recent. Older ones have nothing but positive reviews. I am very interested in the model 70 ew. I am partial to Winchester.

What specifically did the reviews address? I always take internet reviews with a big grain of salt. Just because a guy couldn't get his rifle to shoot doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad rifle. I don't know how many times I've had someone bring a firearm to me and say it has a problem. The first step is to put it in the hands of a different shooter and see if we can replicate the issue. Most times we can't, which means it was the original nut behind the trigger.

I agree:hump:

Here's my opinion, FWIW. Review #1 - poor bedding from the factory wouldn't surprise me a bit. However, I take every gun I have and re do the bedding, even if it just came out the box. Typically the factory bedding compound sucks, and you can do much better with Devcon or Acraglas Gel.

Review #2 - he's using a lead sled, so I would personally be reluctant to put a lot of stock in it. Who knows if he tried a different scope or not? Hard to say. It's the internet.

I guess it depends on how much you like the rifle? Every Winchester I've owned has shot very well. Could have been a bad run of barrels, bad crowns, hard to say. If you are comfortable bedding the gun and maybe having a crown recut there probably isn't a lot to worry about.

Here's my opinion, FWIW. Review #1 - poor bedding from the factory wouldn't surprise me a bit. However, I take every gun I have and re do the bedding, even if it just came out the box. Typically the factory bedding compound sucks, and you can do much better with Devcon or Acraglas Gel.

Review #2 - he's using a lead sled, so I would personally be reluctant to put a lot of stock in it. Who knows if he tried a different scope or not? Hard to say. It's the internet.

I guess it depends on how much you like the rifle? Every Winchester I've owned has shot very well. Could have been a bad run of barrels, bad crowns, hard to say. If you are comfortable bedding the gun and maybe having a crown recut there probably isn't a lot to worry about.
Thank you for the peace of mind! I am going to go with my gut and buy one! Ive had a model 70 for years and it is a shooter!

Thank you for the peace of mind! I am going to go with my gut and buy one! Ive had a model 70 for years and it is a shooter!

I see it comes with a Bell and Carlson stock. It would take someone about two beers worth of time to skim bed the action on one of these. I did that to my Kimber Hunter before I ever shot it, and plan on doing the same with my Remington Mountain Rifle when I get it.

I see it comes with a Bell and Carlson stock. It would take someone about two beers worth of time to skim bed the action on one of these. I did that to my Kimber Hunter before I ever shot it, and plan on doing the same with my Remington Mountain Rifle when I get it.

My Dad just bought a Remington mountain. We both like the B&C stocks! I appreciate the input.

I just bought a used extreme weather off gunbroker recently, I haven't shot it yet but replaced the trigger spring (put a 2.5# spring in) ordered a new scope and rings for it and hope to get it mounted up next week sometime...I read those same reviews before I ordered this one but ultimately I tend to think like JLS about internet reviews...I'll try to report back after I have a chance to shoot this one, I am also partial to Winchester and I hope it will shoot like my other model 70s

While reviews are a great thing, like others have said I’d be wary of short and vague reviews found on websites like Cabela’s. Sure, they’re good for gauging how nice a rifle may or may not be, but you’re likely to find the guys who haven’t shot the rifle at all giving it 5 star reviews and talking about how nice it is(see this on buds all the time).

If you’re looking for real reviews I’d stick to in-depth reviews found on forums like this one or YouTube. At least you can clearly see what the shooter is doing and if he’s worth a crap on video(usually).

I have one in 325 wsm and it shoots sub moa with hand loads. It didnt like the 200 gr TSX but the groups tightened up with some 200 gr partitions. I adjusted the trigger on it but I didnt bed it. Great rifle and feels pretty balanced to me.

I have one in 325 wsm and it shoots sub moa with hand loads. It didnt like the 200 gr TSX but the groups tightened up with some 200 gr partitions. I adjusted the trigger on it but I didnt bed it. Great rifle and feels pretty balanced to me.

When did you buy your rifle? Thanks!

I bought my rifle last year off of gunbroker. It was considered used but I dont know if it ever left the previous owners gun safe. It has the Utah stamp on it but I am not sure on when it was manufactured.

My uncle bought one last year in 7rm , he spent a fortune in factory loads before having me build up loads, after all that the best it would group was 2”. Sent it back to win and they sent him a new one.. He sold it and bought a browning..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back