Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Privatization kills both Resident and Nonresident DIY hunting opportunity

abqbw

Did y’all know that compared to Arizona New Mexican issues:

47% more elk licenses, but
13% less public resident,
58% less public nonresident, and
558% more nonresident licenses (public and private).

The cause? Privatization of elk licenses. Arizona has no outfitter draw set aside or private landowner licenses for any species.

Big game license privatization is horrible for both Resident and Nonresident DIY hunters.

We need to reduce and stop big game license privatization so both resident and nonresident hunters of average means don’t lose our hunting opportunity to wealthy hunters that can afford privatized licenses.

US western state resident hunters need to stick together and make hunting more public and keep it that way.

Attachments

• 92638709-215F-4DE8-A5C8-9D4A5452044E.jpeg
    92638709-215F-4DE8-A5C8-9D4A5452044E.jpeg
    661.3 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Do non-resident hunters need to use an outfitter if they purchase a UW landowner tag in NM?

New Mexico Residents have always taken a beating, and I don't know why more don't seem to want to do something about it.

If I were a Resident of New Mexico I would be standing on the Governors desk asking why my Resident opportunities have been sold down the river.

Do I need to open my land to the public?
Do NM residents have to step up if they take LO tags away?
Does NMWF have any other options for landowners if they take the tags?
Are all NM residents so entitled ?
Does Buzz hate me too?

Asking for a friend. Carry on.

Thanks hank- if unit-wide landowner tags allow for nonresidents to hunt public land without a guide, was just curious how exactly they negatively impact diy nonresidents per the original post.

In 2023, UW transferable landowner tags are one of the best diy tools nonresidents have (unfortunate, but reality)- I hope they continue to expand to other states that don’t already offer them.

In 2023, UW transferable landowner tags are one of the best diy tools nonresidents have (unfortunate, but reality)- I hope they continue to expand to other states that don’t already offer them.
Tranferable landowner tags of any sort are the single biggest threat to the DIY hunter there is and arguably fastest way to achieve "kings deer".

Not sure about that- maybe you’re right. Not really any of my business what states decide to do with their tags, they make the rules and I play by them.

But if they offer them you really can’t blame DIY NR’s (or residents for that matter) for buying them- they’re a pretty sweet deal compared to the fiasco the draws have turned into.

They certainly don’t limit diy nonresident opportunity compared to what the thread creator is hoping to achieve…

Tranferable landowner tags of any sort are the single biggest threat to the DIY hunter there is and arguably fastest way to achieve "kings deer".
I'm king for a day!
Or what?
Seriously. The Kings deer equivelant because I will not let the publick to use my place as they wish ?

Take the LO tags. I have said it before. NMG&F axed me to enroll in the program.

Try and set foot on my place without permission.

Devils advocate - there is a Heck of a lot better odds of saving up some $$ for a few years and buying an elk tag than hoping for a 1% chance to draw. Even if they doubled the amount of NR tags available by sending the “rich” landowners to the guillotine then elk draw odds would go up to maybe 2% for NR’s?

Why compare to AZ? How different states are run has no bearing on how bad your state is ran. NM residents own this problem, until they stand up for themselves the beating will continue.
Comparing to AZ, if you look at how the numbers are laid out, is logical since it is next door. Similar comparisons can be made to other states, the upshot being that almost half of all tags issued in NM go to nonresidents. I don't think you'd see that even in CO.

NM is a one party state, and one of if not the most politically corrupt in the country. Residents can "stand up" all they want, but the number of hunters is a small block of voters who won't come close to having the money to spread around that outfitters and EPlus beneficiaries have at their disposal.

New Mexican landowners have come to be so acculturated to the expectation of tags that can be given or sold that the word "entitled" would be the most appropriate to use. But this horse has been dead for a long time, and all we do in continuing to beat it is to get more pissed off at the situation or each other. It is what it is, I hope I can draw tags in the last few years I live in the state.

David
NM

Devils advocate - there is a Heck of a lot better odds of saving up some $$ for a few years and buying an elk tag than hoping for a 1% chance to draw. Even if they doubled the amount of NR tags available by sending the “rich” landowners to the guillotine then elk draw odds would go up to maybe 2% for NR’s?
You can do the same thing with game farms. Buy your tags boys and go get a biggun.

I have never been a member of a party.
I have yet to hear what the option is for those that own the land that the the elk use daily.

I hope I draw my 4th tag in 4 years.

I have never been a member of a party.
I have yet to hear what the option is for those that own the land that the the elk use daily.

I hope I draw my 4th tag in 4 years.
I don’t think anyone has a problem with you drawing a tag Hank. I think it’s the sale of the tags where things fall apart from the NAM.

The people with a big wallet are the ones hunting. Aka the kings deer

One thing everyone forgets is NMG&F is reliant on funds from their own means. No congress or govner holding the purse strings.
This is what these groups want. Give the G&F $ and hold all their balls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back