MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Private Access Gift?

BrowningBLR

I approached an elderly private land owner and he told me that he doesn’t allow anyone to hunt his property. He hunts but only during rifle on the property. He told me that I could hunt these last couple weeks of archery. I only have an extra cow tag to fill but that didn’t come up- he was telling me about a couple bulls locations. I told him that I would be more than happy to fix fences this spring and if he shot an elk during rifle, to pack it out for him since he isn’t physically capable of doing it. I can glass his property from the road, so if I see elk during rifle- I will drive up and offer to walk with him up the hill to go shoot one. He is an old rancher type and will probably not want me to fix his fences, pack an elk out, or direct him to an elk on his property as he is probably too proud- and rightfully so, it isn’t an accident to own such a beautiful parcel.

Here’s my question... what kind of gift should I give him once these couple weeks of archery is over to show my appreciation? I would like love to show him what it means to me and impress him, with hopes of gaining archery access for next year and years to come... I’m all ears!

Last edited:
For good access, I spend $50-$100 on something for the Land Owner, trying to get them something they might like. That means knowing them and building that relationship. Usually a nice bottle of brown liquid, but sometimes just a gift card to the local restaurant. My turkey honey hole is an older lady, so I bring her roses and lilies in the spring for her to plant. She looks forward to that. Some I bring game from the previous season, but most really don't want it. I also send Christmas Cards and an update in the spring sometime, just to stay connected.

Good gift giving is a bit of an art. Without enough conversation you have to guess.
406LIFE is on target. I try to come up with something that they would use but make it
something from the top shelf.
A couple of ranchers I deal with I try to cover both ends of the day. I bring a 5 lb bag of really good
coffee beans and a bottle of their favorite whiskey, or at least something that is nicely blended that
I know they wouldn't bother to splurge on.
On cold nights and frozen mornings they may think kindly of you :hump:
...And the Christmas card is always a good touch

Guys like that, we buy cow cake tubs.. you cant go wrong a custom pocket knife and a beautiful leather holster either.

I think the first thing you have to find it out is do they drink? Don't bring alcohol to someone who doesn't drink, but like tradewind mentioned top shelf stuff is the best bet. I have some awesome landowner relationships due to a few brown bottles. I think your best bet is to find something they really want/like that they won't buy for themselves and then you have your answer the Christmas card or a follow up call in the spring to ask if they need help with fence or various chores is a nice touch.

A Pendleton wool blanket, I don't know anyone who doesn't like them that lives in cold weather climate. Maybe a gift certificate to a local farm and ranch store or the best restaurant in his local town.
Sounds like you have the chance to build a long term relationship with him. Work on that however you can. Showing respect for his land will go a long way. Take some nice pics out in the field and share a print with him too.
If he is LDS faith he will not want any liquor, well most don't drink it anyway.
Good luck on the hunt for yourself and the landowner. Maybe you could get his elk skull boiled and cleaned up for him, do it yourself or pay the taxidermist fees for him.

Spending enough time with the landowner and listening so you can figure out a good gift is the key. It's easy to through some money at someone. It takes more effort to listen for a bit and get them something that actually want or is a bit personal.

I had a landowner give me retrieval access a while back and after chatting with him a while figured out his anniversary was coming up so I got him a gift card to a nice restaurant close by. My father-n-law has had people buy him new chaps and a gate (old one was held on with bailing wire). Also if they are elderly and way out sometimes it's helpful just to run them errand, maybe offer to pick something up for them... my buddy brought halloween candy and some fruit to Adak for someone.

On the other end of the scale, I think you have to be somewhat careful not to over do it.
Got into a situation once where I spotted something the landowner needed. It was in the 300 dollar range
and I took care of it. But the landowner then felt he OWED me. Not the case at all in my mind. I was
just happy to have permission to hunt. But it made the situation awkward.
Prob the best deal I struck was when a land owner was building a house, mostly by himself. But it helps
to have another set of hands. So my partner and hunted til mid morning then helped w/ the heavy lifting
on the house build the rest of the day. It turned out to be a really good exchange. something he needed but there was no
monetary value put on it.

Packages of frozen walleyes and panfish are a nice treat for some of my people. One guy I helped build fence for a day, and since then my daughter and I always bring fish and the fixns to his cabin on opening day evening. Lots of fun and fellowship together is appreciated by him I believe. He has all the money he will ever need and every piece of hunting equipment, but you can't buy personally caught and cooked walleyes. My other landowners get a nice handwritten Christmas card and a HUGE Poinsettia for Christmas.

If your wife cooks or you have the skills homemade items like cookies or cinnamon rolls could be a nice touch that most people will appreciate more than items that are simply purchased.

I like the idea of looking for opportunities if you feel the need for a larger gift of appreciation. If you notice the mailbox is all busted up consider having a custom one made with the family name. Same with the gate idea. Next year bring any hardware necessary to fix a couple of gates. Even installing these on gates without them might be appreciated every time they use it. https://www.circlecsupply.com/speec...MIs568gsXr3QIVi5-zCh2UzgAMEAQYASABEgIBEPD_BwE

Thanks for all the great ideas, guys! Unfortunately, within the next couple weeks, I won't have the time to get to know him very well. Archery season ends the 14th and I will only get out 2 days on his property. So the likelihood of me getting a cow and being able to show up on his step with some loins/back straps, cut up and ready for dinner is unlikely (he said he how much he loves elk meat). Then rifle season starts the 20th and he will be hunting, not sure how hard but he will be looking to shoot an elk. I also asked if he would like an elk if my wife and I shot one because we already had a full freezer. He said that he wanted to shoot one himself but to check in with him, depending on how hunting has gone for him. Here is what I'm thinking... let me know what you think. Too much? Not enough?

Stop by between archery and rifle season. Drop off a small gift basket with meats, cheeses, wine, gift card to ranch supply store, card. Thank him in person, and reiterate that if he shoots an elk to give me a call and I will gladly help pack it out. And also tell him "If I see elk on your property during rifle, I will come get you and we (you) will go shoot it!". Non related to his property, but if my wife or I shoot a cow then call him to see if he would like it (we already have a full freezer). Then send Christmas card and call during Spring to ask what days I should block off on my calendar so I can come out to fix fences.

Make sure he is there when you drop the basket off, so you can chat. Just dropping something off on the doorstep just isn't the same.

Here is a thought .....if you have a skill (woodworking, welding, etc) where you can actually make something those things are usually meaningful, especially if they are useful.

This is only my opinion, but that's what you're asking for... Be genuine, be yourself. Be interested in him for more than just the motive of hunting his land. I think the cheese/wine basket is a bit over the top at this point. Is he a cheese and wine kind of guy? Sounds like he lives alone. Most old guys living alone appreciate good company and conversation without feeling like they are getting their ass kissed. Showing up with a small token of appreciation like the gift card and chatting for a while might be a good start.

I don't have a huge amount of experience with this, but here's my most recent example: I have an old man who allows me to cut firewood on his land. I always cut wood before I go to his house to see him because I know the rest of my day is going to be spent talking to him. He usually invites me in for some cookies and a drink - a coke or beer. If I have venison in the freezer, I'll gift him a roast and a couple pounds of ground. The point here is that he's old, a widower, and enjoys something to break up his routine. He also wants for nothing. Plan on spending a lot more time listening than talking, and if you are able to go out there regularly, plan on hearing the same stories over again. I'd guess the offer of labor (even if he refuses) would be better than a cheese/meat/wine basket that you don't even know he likes.
Good luck!

We get on two great ranches in Montana , it's really more land than we could ever cover in a week . We bring enough potatoes to last them the winter , and enough beer and liquor to last them maybe the winter as well as calls here and there to check in . Last spring we even made the 700 mile drive for a hs graduation of one ranchers son . They have turned into good friends

Thanks! I agree with just getting to know them and becoming friends. However,
this first time, I do want to show my appreciation since I’m the first person to hunt it in 35 years. I did just get some info from a mutual acquaintance that he is married and his wife his gluten and dairy free. Also, they do not drink. They do like steak... I think I’m going to do the gift card, a couple nice ribeyes, and a nice gluten/dairy free dessert- my wife is also this so she knows what is tasty! I’m open to any other ideas!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back