Primers to use or not to use

Jasher

So, I was at the store yesterday and thought I was in luck. I see large magnum primers. Then as I calm down and read the box it says large magnum pistol primers. I didn't buy them but now I'm wondering if I made a mistake and could use them in a rifle. Has anyone tried this? I'm running low on magnum primers. I have a ton of large rifle primers because that's what I use to load a lot of. Now I'm loading 2x more magnum. Would it be better to use a regular large rifle primer or the large magnum pistol if I run out magnum rifle?

pistol primers are designed for lower pressures than rifle primers...they are also a touch smaller in height than rifle primers. Pistol primers in a rifle is asking for trouble.

Swap out your mag primers for standard rifle. Back off a grain or so and work back up to your load for safety and I bet things work just fine who knows maybe your load will improve.

You could try to buy the pistol primers and then ask someone locally to trade locally for LRM primers but most guys are looking for small pistol primers

pistol primers are designed for lower pressures than rifle primers...they are also a touch smaller in height than rifle primers. Pistol primers in a rifle is asking for trouble.

Swap out your mag primers for standard rifle. Back off a grain or so and work back up to your load for safety and I bet things work just fine who knows maybe your load will improve.

You could try to buy the pistol primers and then ask someone locally to trade locally for LRM primers but most guys are looking for small pistol primers
Good thing I left them then. I don't load pistol even though I should.

Woulda been a perfect excuse to buy a new gun that would let you use the primers!
I already have a 44 mag I just don't reload it. The way things are right now I couldn't find the stuff to reload with anyways

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back