Price point = good scopes

At what point do you get good scopes? If 500$ is my budget should I buy or wait and save up for a better scope around 1000$ is there a significant difference 200 and 500 and 1000?
At what point do you get a good scope? Just how much scope do you really need? I think I read somewhere that the average deer is killed at something under 200 yds. I live in wide open country and longest shot I ever took was 330 yds, everything else would average out maybe, if I pushed it, 100 yds! Now some guy's justify the scope by the range of a shot they would take. Actually I don't care how long the shot is, more important than the scope is the ability of the shooter! The scope has no effect on how the bullet fly's! I've got several $150 +/- scopes on rifles that have been on them a good number of years now. With two exceptions all but two of them regularly shoot well under 1" at 100 yds, three go about 1/2"! I really doubt paying another $850 for a scope will improve my groups any at all! I have a 1970's Denver/Redfield 2 3/4x scope I got new. It was on a 338 mag several years, then a 308 and now a 30-06. never had a problem and never felt under scoped! Of course I have always limited the ranges I shoot to try and insure I make good clean kills!. Now Most I ever paid foe a scope was $300 +/-. I suppose if I could afford to pay more I might but using inexpensive equipment so long has taught me I don't really need to sell the farm to get good equipment. Of course if you can afford to spend $1000 on a scope, go for it. Makes poor people jealous!

Back