Pretty classy lookin rifle

Now that you mention it...

It looks like it's got the mauser style bolt stop as well. And the bolt handle isn't swept back far enough also.

Looks like maybe a Husqvarna with a Winchester barrel.

I think you might be right on that one. Interesting stuff

Can that old Weaver be restored? I have one on the 760 Remington Mom's dad gave Dad a week after I was born in 1952.
Go on the internet and look up Iron Sight from Tulsa Ok. Used to be a former Weaver Employee named Frank Sanchez down in El Paso Texas who had the weaver scope repair service, He dis great work real cheap.

When he got old and retired Iron Sight bought him out. Iron Sight does great work but charges more. About a $100 to go through an fixed power weaver.

They used to do weaver variable but ran out of parts.

They also restore old Redfields too. They will not work on Japanese scopes

Great wood, and buck is definately what a trophy mule deer should look like!

As for that old Weaver scope...I'm a user type of guy. Nostalgia is good and I would keep that scope, but if I was going to hunt with that rifle, I would put something modern like 3-9x Leupold scope on it.

In today's hunting world, the chances of just drawing a goat tag and definately just seeing a Muley buck like that one are so small that I see no reason to handicap yourself with outdated equipment. However, if you just want to kill a buck with grandpa's gun, then keep the Weaver on it and go have fun with it.

Now that you mention it...

It looks like it's got the mauser style bolt stop as well. And the bolt handle isn't swept back far enough also.

Looks like maybe a Husqvarna with a Winchester barrel.
I don't think it's a Husqvarna. I'm looking at one in a gun show right now and the safety is not flat. It's sloping on the side of the receiver.20220925_125200.jpg

The curiosity is why/how someone would put a Winchester Model 70 barrel on a Zastva action. Did it require rethreading the action? Interesting.

Brockel, check to see if yours has a double action trigger. I'm betting it does. You can push the trigger forward to set it to hair trigger. If you change your mind and want to return to conventional trigger weight, engage the safety and pull the trigger. Or simply open the action.

The curiosity is why/how someone would put a Winchester Model 70 barrel on a Zastva action. Did it require rethreading the action? Interesting.
Looks like threads/tenon was cut off the barrel to me. The distance from the action to the back sight is shorter than stock. A M70 barrel has a bolt/slot cut for the extractor, so it'd have to go anyway. The thread diameter on a M70 is 1 inch is slightly smaller than the 98 1.1inch, but I'm not sure there is enough left to turn and re-thread. The notch would have to go anyway. I'm guessing the M70 barrel was installed to save some money. Pretty cheap to chop, thread and rechamber vs a new barrel. I like Frankenstein rifles!

Looks like threads/tenon was cut off the barrel to me. The distance from the action to the back sight is shorter than stock. A M70 barrel has a bolt/slot cut for the extractor, so it'd have to go anyway. The thread diameter on a M70 is 1 inch is slightly smaller than the 98 1.1inch, but I'm not sure there is enough left to turn and re-thread. The notch would have to go anyway. I'm guessing the M70 barrel was installed to save some money. Pretty cheap to chop, thread and rechamber vs a new barrel. I like Frankenstein rifles!
Interesting. It really doesn't look like doing it on the cheap was a priority when building this gun. Very fancy walnut. Perhaps the owner had a Model 70 that got damaged and he just wanted to save the barrel. I seem to recall the pre 64 Model 70 had a reputation for hit and miss re accuracy. I presume the issue was the barrels?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back