Advertisement

President Pike

Gellar

Jigging for panfish this afternoon my Vexilar started going all wanky. I figured it was a school of small bluegill. All of sudden something hammered my little jig and started taking drag. Good thing I respooled my ice reels this year with 2lb line! I could see below the hole and didn’t think I’d get him up the hole, but once I got him started it went smooth! There’s not much better then pickled pike and an ice cold Pilsner on a hot summer day!

1645494955831.jpeg
1645495031245.jpeg

Nice job getting it's head turned up into the hole. Have had where the northern was all played out but just couldn't get them turned up and had to say good bye to them . On the other hand I have had several dog fish swim up into the hole to take a look at me this year. Just a matter of getting a hand wet and flipping them out.
Northern pike is a welcome change for my fish fries.

Things settle down, let me know how you pickle your pike. Pm would work.
Cool pics.
Thanks for sharing.
I have always kept it simple. But I may try a new recipe or add some jalapeños peppers to it. Basically I freeze it for at least 72 hours, brine it, and pickle it.

The brine: 1 cup salt, 4 cups water, 1/2 lemon juiced

The pickling juice: 1/3 cup sugar, 2 cups white whine vinegar or distilled vinegar, 1 cup water, yellow rhine part of a lemon, 2 tablespoons pickling spice, 1 red onion, 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns, bay leaves

Brine it overnight, rinse the meat, pack it in a big glass jar with a lid layering fish, onion, pieces of lemon rhine. Cover with pickling juice and refrigerate for 7-10 days.

Hey, thanks a bunch Gellar!!!
I am not much for laboring over food recipes but I have wanted to pickle some fish for awhile. Seems easy enough.
I started catching pike with a fly about 8-9 years ago. At first I put them all back, but I am bringing more and more home now. Too damn good.
Appreciate you taking the time.

Hey, thanks a bunch Gellar!!!
I am not much for laboring over food recipes but I have wanted to pickle some fish for awhile. Seems easy enough.
I started catching pike with a fly about 8-9 years ago. At first I put them all back, but I am bringing more and more home now. Too damn good.
Appreciate you taking the time.
I've always wanted to get into fly fishing for pike. I even bout a 9 weight rod and a bunch of flies. I've tried a few times, but never put much effort into it beyond that. I may have to pick your brain sometime on it!

Reactions: Hem
I've always wanted to get into fly fishing for pike. I even bout a 9 weight rod and a bunch of flies. I've tried a few times, but never put much effort into it beyond that. I may have to pick your brain sometime on it!
Anytime...except when I am fishing.;)

Pickled pike is definitely a treat.
Here's the recipe I use:

Pickled pike is definitely a treat.
Here's the recipe I use:
I’ve looking at different recipes and they are all a little different. Most of them use the same seasonings and the same brine for 24 hours. The amount of sugar and the type of vinegar varies recipe to recipe.

I think I’m going to try a new recipe and see if there is one I like better.

I’ve looking at different recipes and they are all a little different. Most of them use the same seasonings and the same brine for 24 hours. The amount of sugar and the type of vinegar varies recipe to recipe.

I think I’m going to try a new recipe and see if there is one I like better.
I've eliminated the red onion slices. Turns the fish a pink color. Doesn't effect the taste but the appearance is a little off-putting to me.

How the Sam hell??? That's fantastic so don't get me wrong Geller though 2lb test, no wire leader, a pan fish jig hook, and tiny ice fishing reel spool of what? 70 yards?

Are pike lethargic movers when it chills during ice fishing? Even still, that is beyond epic. Haha.

I am stunned! Grats!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jg722
Back