Pre-scouting

Depend on game units here in Co, private land cow elk tags, rifle starts Aug1 or Sept 1. Some units have early deer season start Sept 4th or Sept 11. Rifle bear starts Sept 2. Last year my bear tag was for 6 game units. Always good to check see what else is going on.

Where the elk are in June or July is not where they will be in Sept or Oct. Good for learning the ground, way around, how steep, and loom for Old sign, rubs etc
I agree. The bulls move to find the cows to rut. Cows move to rutting areas. A week scouting before your hunt would be more useful than a few months ahead of the hunt.

I don't find that true where I live in Colorado. As soon as the snow has receded enough for them to have good forage, we have elk from June until they leave for winter. Of course I can't say that for anywhere else.
So for Colorado, what else have you seen with elk behavior in November, say third and fourth rifle?

Once you have a big snowfall, does it push the herds and solitary bulls down until next year; do they generally return to elevation once the snow melts prematurely, or do they stay down?

Another 'CO 3-4 rifle season question': do you see the bulls remain solitary or form bachelor groups by this time?

The one thing you have to worry about is water. Elk will be on water, whether it's public springs or creeks, or on private irrigated ag fields. I've been in too many situations with elk on public with some sort of water, just to have a dry summer and find them on the private ag fields come hunting season. I'll never tell someone not to scout and get boots on the ground, but I wouldn't count on finding elk in the fall where you find them in the summer.
Welcome to Hunttalk John. That there is the most detailed post I've seen from you.

So for Colorado, what else have you seen with elk behavior in November, say third and fourth rifle?

Once you have a big snowfall, does it push the herds and solitary bulls down until next year; do they generally return to elevation once the snow melts prematurely, or do they stay down?

Another 'CO 3-4 rifle season question': do you see the bulls remain solitary or form bachelor groups by this time?
I don't rifle hunt elk so I can only speak to what I see. By 3rd rifle it seems like I only see cows. Maybe some young bulls mixed in. I never sees mature bulls just out grazing. I imagine they are in the safe zones recovery from the rut. I will see elk at 9800 until the snow is too deep to forage and then they will migrate to the lower elevations. After that I don't see them until June typically. Best of luck!

Reactions: JAG
New to HuntTalk but so far have been very impressed with the help and communications I am seeing on here. I have always wanted to do a pre-scout trip but felt that going too early would be a wasted trip as far as locating elk. It can definitely pay off as far as landscape and camp locations. I am wondering if anyone else does pre-scout trips much closer to their actual hunt dates? I am planning a trip for MT this year and am thinking about taking a pre-scout trip at the end of August. Thanks in advance!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jscrocca
Back