Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Pre-scouting

Andrewlonghi

So me and my brothers were talking today about taking a trip out to Colorado in June to recon some units for are hunt in September. Learn the terrain and So on. Would there be any benefits in doing this?. We plan to fly from Florida and stay maybe 3 or 4 days.

I would say yes anytime you can put boots on the ground and get a look at the area you are doing yourself a huge favor.

Anytime I am in the mountains whether it's for hiking, camping, fishing, or just driving, or even hunting, I'm always looking around for elk & deer sign and getting the lay of the land, it pays off in spades.

I would say yes anytime you can put boots on the ground and get a look at the area you are doing yourself a huge favor.

Anytime I am in the mountains whether it's for hiking, camping, fishing, or just driving, or even hunting, I'm always looking around for elk & deer sign and getting the lay of the land, it pays off in spades.
Thank you

The one thing you have to worry about is water. Elk will be on water, whether it's public springs or creeks, or on private irrigated ag fields. I've been in too many situations with elk on public with some sort of water, just to have a dry summer and find them on the private ag fields come hunting season. I'll never tell someone not to scout and get boots on the ground, but I wouldn't count on finding elk in the fall where you find them in the summer.

The one thing you have to worry about is water. Elk will be on water, whether it's public springs or creeks, or on private irrigated ag fields. I've been in too many situations with elk on public with some sort of water, just to have a dry summer and find them on the private ag fields come hunting season. I'll never tell someone not to scout and get boots on the ground, but I wouldn't count on finding elk in the fall where you find them in the summer.
T4....kinda was thinking there patterns would be different also but don't know how much different. Are main goal is to pick out a couple units and scout/learn the terrain

Not sure if it's possible, but I'd rather get there 3-4 days before the hunt to scout than months earlier. However, I think it's definitely worth while to get there, see road access, terrain and do some hiking. Elk might not be there, but you can find old rubs, water, etc. Get a plan A, B, C, etc and see how feasible it is if you have to move during the season.

Not sure if it's possible, but I'd rather get there 3-4 days before the hunt to scout than months earlier. However, I think it's definitely worth while to get there, see road access, terrain and do some hiking. Elk might not be there, but you can find old rubs, water, etc. Get a plan A, B, C, etc and see how feasible it is if you have to move during the season.
Thanks...

Just ground truthing your maps and seeing where roads and trails go and just how steep places really are gives a lot of value to an early trip out.
Experiencing the High altitude headache and huff & puff before you try to chase critters is worthwhile too.

Good chance to try out gear, test using inreach, GPS, etc. Map everything out on your GPS that can, sign/sightings, camp sites, pullouts, trailheads, closed vs open roads, cause it's easy to forget the details when you leave.

So me and my brothers were talking today about taking a trip out to Colorado in June to recon some units for are hunt in September. Learn the terrain and So on. Would there be any benefits in doing this?. We plan to fly from Florida and stay maybe 3 or 4 days.
You may want to call FS units you want to scout check make sure none of access gates are locked. Some times they close for logging. Your going to have hunters coming early to set up camp and scout.

Reactions: JAG
This is a good thread that shows one members process for pre trip out of state recon:

All of the above.
Boots on the ground. Altitude. Access. Water. The vastness of the terrain.
Knowing all that before you arrive with a weapon is a huge plus.

Depending on the elevation you are thinking of hunting there could still be snow, making a lot of fs roads inaccessible. Looking outside right now I'd say it's looks like an early spring but it's always possible for a wet spring into early summer. Actually hoping so or this states gonna be on fire.. Usually it's around the first of July to get up in the high country without snow being a factor.

Depending on the elevation you are thinking of hunting there could still be snow, making a lot of fs roads inaccessible. Looking outside right now I'd say it's looks like an early spring but it's always possible for a wet spring into early summer. Actually hoping so or this states gonna be on fire.. Usually it's around the first of July to get up in the high country without snow being a factor.
Thanks for the info.might change are plans to July trip and look. Around

Thanks for the info.might change are plans to July trip and look. Around
I live at 9800 and often times we still have snow until early June and that's out in a meadow. So you can imagine what northern facing slopes could look like. Yeah, I'd say come right around the 4th and you'd be good. Then later in July the monsoons start and you need to use caution as the electrical storms get very dangerous. Just fyi.

Where the elk are in June or July is not where they will be in Sept or Oct. Good for learning the ground, way around, how steep, and loom for Old sign, rubs etc
I don't find that true where I live in Colorado. As soon as the snow has receded enough for them to have good forage, we have elk from June until they leave for winter. Of course I can't say that for anywhere else.

I would try to add 3-4 days to hunting trip over all that cash expended to find trailheads that are already on map. That couple extra days are nice, i always tell first time NRs that come out 10 days minimum for elk. Day or 2 at front end to get wind and use to things, adjust/check equiptment, week of solid hunting that way. Once you shot one its 3+ loads, if your 6 miles back(prob not flat) thats 3 trips LOADED, 6 back after a day of hunting 12 each next 2 days plus if your spiked out pulling camp. My point is time is valuable, use it efficently. If thats where elk are you need the time to go get them!

Agree with what others have said. Go 3 or 4 days right before your hunt, rather than over the summer. I’ve done both in the past and it paid off much more for me to scout right before the season. If you can’t do that, then by all means go over the summer as it will be much better than not scouting at all. Even just confirming access points and camping spots is valuable.

Also, you mentioned units…IMO, you won’t have the time in such a short period to look over multiple units, so just focus on one unit and find multiple options on that one. They are generally massive, so one should be plenty, provided it has ample public land. If you try to look over too many places, you won’t really see anything.

Back