Yeti GOBOX Collection

Powder

Much2hunt

I have several hundred rds of 22-250 ammo loaded up,most 10-15 yrs old, It's time to load up a a couple hundred more rds, I have been very happy with my load,but when I go to the Hodgdon loading center(on-line) it shows my load using H-335 is considerably over max,I checked my old Hodgdon manual and it shows my load about 6% under max.
I realize most things change over the years,has powder changed that much and should I go with the new data for recently purchased powder? Or is reloading data becoming more conservative to avoid legalities?

Some of the old data was a little hot due to less accurate testing methods. Some of the burn rates have also changed. I would use the new data and chronograph the max loads to see where you're at.

I would be worried that it shows over max and would not try it with the new powder. It sucks but it looks like it is time to do some load development.

I have had the same issue and I believe they have changed some of the powders over the years. I think with several different brands all made by the same company. I think they have changed some of the similar powders into one or the other or something in between.

I would just work on a load with the new data. If you can get the same group with less powder its a win win considering the cost and availability of powder.

If you do not have any problem with the old load, I would leave it alone, but it might be a good idea to use current data on the new loadings. One problem is that a lot of companies are lawyer crazy and downgrade the max loads. I have some old Hornady data that shows this with some powders. Just start low and work up until you get the accuracy that you want and watch for pressure signs.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back