Powder Problems ?

GilaMonster

Man, I've been fighting my .338 Imperial Magnum since I got home. I've had nothing but problems with the loads.
When I was home in June of last year on my last R&R, I test fired it with 200 gr Nosler Accubonds and found that my rifle would not handle the mazimum poad for IMR7828 with those bullets. I figured it out, or so I thought. My Cartridge OAL had to be shorter because I am limited to the length of the magazine of the M700 Rem. So I had to seat the accubond deeper so less case capacity. I get that.
I decided to go with the 225 gr Nosler Partitions as they aren't so pointy as those accubonds and I could seat them to the same overall length as my data showed. That sounded to me like a better choice as I could seat the bullet properly and probably work up to maximum loads or at least get closer to maximum.
Well, I've been trying to get some RE25 but no one around here has any and one shop has some on order, so I'm playing the waiting game.
In the meantime, I had an unopened can of H1000 that I've had for many years just sitting around. That should be fine for those 225 gr Partitions. I checked what little data I had for the Imperial and checked the loading data for the .338 RUM because the .338 RUM is just a shortened version of the .338 Imperial Magnum. I came up with a starting load of 98 gr H1000 and gave it a go. That was below maximum for the .338 RUM and I figured it should be fine. Crap, the primers were flattened out so that they blended into the case head like one piece and extraction was tough too. OK, I then dropped to 95 gr H1000 with the same bullets. Same results. Now this is getting real close to the starting load for the .338 RUM and I'm flattening primers and the pressure is so great that I can barely get the fired cases out of the chamber.
OK, I even turned the case necks down really thin as the cases I'm using are necked down .375 RUM cases. I thought that the necks might be too thick, but that didn't change anything. Same results.

Today, I went back and loaded some 200 gr Accubonds once again with a nice medium loading (according to my data) of IMR7828 and guess what? No problems at all. Nice round primers and I can go on up with my loads like I am supposed to.

Do you suppose that I might have a bad lot of H1000? I can't explain it any other way. Any suggestions or feedback?

Yea, actually I did actually. The loading data was for cases formed from blown out .404 Jeffrey cases. I even have 33 brand new (probably the last known in the world) factory fresh .338 Imperial Magnum cases from Imperial Cartridge Corporation.
I took one of each of those cases along with one from the cases I'm using that I formed from .375 Rem. Ultra. Mag. cases and did a volume test on all of them. The cases I'm using have a slightly larger capacity. That wasn't it either.

Did you check velocity of your loads versus the data? There could be a lot of factors lke a "fast" or "slow" barrel, tight barrel or throat, etc. The chronograph will let you know if your loads are within spec, I think. If you are getting the velocity you want with less powder, then there are other factors involved, I think.

I never thought of that Rick. I'll load up some of the loads that shoot like they are supposed to with IMR7828 and check the velocity against the published data.. thanks!

The diffrence in lott to lott variation in powder can cause pressure problems. Some powders seem to be more prone to the variation than others. I would definatly check velocity with a chrono. You're likely getting much higher velocity, hence the pressure signs.

I've only used a few pounds of H-1000 and stopped because of lot to lot variation. IIRC, that powder is coming out of checkoslovakia so,,,.I mostly use alliant now, to date the stuff has been gold.
Graff and sons will pick up the haz-mat fee if you buy more than 32#s of powder(you can mix brands) so if you have some buddies who also need powder,,,

I shoot Re-22 with everything in my 338Ultra. The Lapua loves it as well.

Sounds like headspace to me,rather than pressure...as well as dubious brass quality(hardness). I'd be inclined to form hulls via false shoulder and land engagement both,as a means of establishing headspace and set die geometry in careful accord after that fact.

I shoot 99grs of Re-22 with the 210X at 3400fps in my 26" 338Ultra and am out of capacity. One could argue a swap to Re-19,to mine for more velocity,but I'm a fan of compressed loads for minimizing ES/SD. Mine is L61R based,so is shy of 700 mag confines and I throated in that accord. It will dip .4's often.

Imperial brass has always been junk(metallurgy,runout and deviation QC). R/P Ultra hulls are routinely wonderous,in all regards. The 375 neck down,would be a certain way to control headspace and realize good hulls after the fact.

It'd rate a barrel swap,to be rid of it and go Ultra instead...................

The problem was a bad lot of powder. If you had read the original post, I build my brass from .375 RUM cases. I am not new to loading or techniques. I set the dies to neck the cases down for a nice tight (perfect headspace) fit. The cases were never the issue. The rifle will shoot groups under .5 MOA with IMR7828 and the pressure is fine. As far as using RE22, that powder has too fast burning rate to produce maximum velocities with projectiles over 200 gr with the .338 Imperial. I have no idea why you would suggest swapping out a barrel when there is absolutely nothing wrong with this one. Maybe just because you don't care particularly for the .338 Imperial. Let's see.... three hundred bucks for a stainless barrel blank...another hundred bucks for a reamer....another hundred seventy five bucks to have another muzzle break installed...
Oh yea, that makes so much sense..... yea, why not spend another $550 and rebarrel it when I will end up with a cartridge that develops about 50 fps MV less... makes a lot of sense to me... You know, if I wanted a .338 RUM, I would have bought one to start with. This is a much more interesting firearm...

Oh, of course you ran out of case capacity with RE22... it's too fast burning for that bullet weight.. and... RE19 is even faster and not suitable for any projectiles in the .338 RUM... you got it backwards... RE25 will give you more velocity.. and your figures of 3400 fps with the RE22 loads are highly doubtful at best... I would doubt you actually used a chronograph and if you did, it was most likely not calibrated. I would believe maybe 3100 fps with a powder that is that fast burning...
You need to invest in a chronograph and learn about burning rates of powders and you can then carry on a conversation with me concerning loading...
Also, you might note that I do have some brand new (old stock) .338 Imperial brass cases and I have checked them for difference in weight and length as from the factory and they are of a high quality. I won't load them until I get ready to take it to Africa as the headstamps must match the markings on the barrel. The brass is reasonably old, so I will anneal the cases first of course.

Stichk- Kinda appears that
Schooled.gif

Gila,

You are dumber than I thought...which is impressive,as I weighted it(stupidity) heavily on your part.

You run out of case capacity,due to too SLOW of burning rate. Faster powders make more pressure,with less propellant volume and I'm hardly suprised that the most basic premise escapes your comprehension. No wonder you are forced to pen a Post seeking help.

Shitt brass is just that,no matter the powder lot and stupid can't be fixed.

Am not suprised you are gunning a brake either.

Kids...................

Marv,

You be sure to update them thoughts...because yipping clueless lapdogs,rather crack me up.

Especially when they are talking out their asss.................

I'm actually starting to like the way this guy gives advice. Master gunsmith with Tourrettes and a touch of poetic style. I bet Big Stick could whip up some killer reloading limericks.. But I suspect he's too much of an asshole to allow us that entertainment.

Gila,

You are dumber than I thought...which is impressive,as I weighted it(stupidity) heavily on your part.

You run out of case capacity,due to too SLOW of burning rate. Faster powders make more pressure,with less propellant volume and I'm hardly suprised that the most basic premise escapes your comprehension. No wonder you are forced to pen a Post seeking help.

Shitt brass is just that,no matter the powder lot and stupid can't be fixed.

Am not suprised you are gunning a brake either.

Kids...................
Well, you are right about that part... if the case capacity, then your powder is too slow burning.. I also didn't take note that you were using the X bullets which are extremely long and take up a lot of case capacity which could possibly explain why you were able to completely fill the case with such a fast burning propellant without blowing up your rifle.
I don't need to bring myself down to your level of name calling but as far as calling me a kid... thanks punk... Grow up.

Well, you are right about that part... if you run out of case capacity, then your powder is too slow burning.. I also didn't take note that you were using the X bullets which are extremely long and take up a lot of case capacity which could possibly explain why you were able to completely fill the case with such a fast burning propellant without blowing up your rifle.
I don't need to bring myself down to your level of name calling but as far as calling me a kid... thanks punk... Grow up.

'horn,

The info is cut/dry and spot on as per always.

That you haven't the faculties to process it,is squarely on your shoulders and there's little need to broadcast the shortcoming.

English never troubled me,but admittedly...not much does...................

Gila,

Of course I'm right,that's why I said it. '22 is a long ways from being "fast" in the Ultra and is in fact a CH on the slow side,in the application cited. You'd do well to quit guessing.

You retreat nearly as well as schmalts and I'm thinking you'll be getting better at it,for the obvious reasons.....................

Big Prick;
You're arrogance is only surpassed by your ignorance!
(I didn't steal the quote and you can borrow it if need be)

I simply deal in facts,founded via firsthand accountings and I've zero doubt that'd be a foreign approach to you.

To be concise,I notice your Posts getting shorter and you've abandonded rifle talk.

'Course it was the only move you had...................

Back