Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Powder and bullet

sigpros

Well I haven’t been in the muzzleloader game in over 10 years. But I stumbled on one of the clearance Walmart Optima V2‘s so it looks like the boy will be adding another season to deer season next year. So what is everyone shooting for powder and bullets today? I used to shoot Powerbeats and Jim Shockey had a BP powder substitute I used. Just going to try some find what I can to get to play with this thing when it warms up

thank you

If this is a 209 primer ignited muzzleloader then I'd say absolutely choose Federal 209A primers and Blackhorn 209. Have fun finding them though.

Bullet choice can be kind of a wildcard. I've shot Powerbelts but they are soft lead so they can make a mess of meat. Sabots wise I've had good luck with Hornady SST and Harvester Black sabots. I've tried Lehigh Defense bronze as a non-lead option but my rifle wouldn't shoot them consistently.

Thank you. I have 1k Fiocchi 209 primers that were my wife’s grandpas he was a trap shooter wonder if they would work? I do have 100 of the federal also. Do I need the breech plug for the blackhorn powder? What’s special about it? Like I said I haven’t been around these in awhile. But it was too good of a deal to pass up. I love a good clearance sale

I use Blackhorn 209 and weigh the charges along with Barnes TMZ's. Super accurate.
Have you shot anything with the TMZ's? Thinking of switching to them instead of powerbelts.

I've shot 2 deer, 2 pronghorn, and a javelina with the power-belts, lead is super soft and just don't trust them even though they've never failed me.

Have you shot anything with the TMZ's? Thinking of switching to them instead of powerbelts.

I've shot 2 deer, 2 pronghorn, and a javelina with the power-belts, lead is super soft and just don't trust them even though they've never failed me.
I have killed two elk using a TC pro hunter stuffed with BH powder and
Barnes TEZ 290 gr neither made it past about 60 yards
bullet mushroomed and stayed intact just like advertised

Shot a deer and a antelope. Found the bullet on the deer looked like a Barnes ad. Was a big bodied deer 165 pounds of bone in meat when I cut it and was 187 yard shot. Broke one shoulder and was found on off side hide

Both 250 and 290 TEZ's work great in my Accura V2. Blackhorn 209 powder and just regular old Federal 209 primers. Elk, deer, and (poor) javelina-all quick kills.

Thank you. I have 1k Fiocchi 209 primers that were my wife’s grandpas he was a trap shooter wonder if they would work? I do have 100 of the federal also. Do I need the breech plug for the blackhorn powder? What’s special about it? Like I said I haven’t been around these in awhile. But it was too good of a deal to pass up. I love a good clearance sale
I guess technically you don't "need" it but it is recommended by Blackhorn 209 to use their style of breech plug. I'm sure those Fiocchi 209 primers would work fine. Practice at the range will tell.
I have a CVA Optima V2 and shoot 250 gr Hornady SSTs sabots. I've used Blackhorn 209 w/ their breech plug and have also used 2 777 pellets w/ normal breech plug. Both shoot good. They do make a 300 gr SST but I haven't shot them yet.
Hornady also came out with the SST bullet that is not in a sabot - Hornady Bore Driver FTX, incase you are hunting a state where you can't use sabots.
Definitely lots of options out there though.

You need the different breech plug. There are horror stories out there from guys who cheated out and tried to use it without switching. It’s a cheap part, change it. Those primers will work fine. Like others have said use BH209 and weigh it. It is a supremely accurate powder that is clean.

I've shot several whitetails back in Arkansas. The real test was this guy in 2019 at 173 yards. The bullet performed very well with uniform expansion. It was lodged in the hide on the backside of the bull. I did have to wait until the morning to recover. He was hurt bad and standing in the same spot for about 20 minutes until it got dark. I couldn't shoot another round due to forgetting spare bullets. The bull expired about 50 yards from where I shot him. I'll take it given the yardage with a muzzleloader.Bull 2.jpg

Thank you guys. I have no problem getting the right breech plug I was just wondering why it was different. It looks like even blackpowder stuff is hard to find so I will be looking for what ever I can get. Lol. Bad thing is I have a boy who has laid claim to the CVA. It is all he has talked about for the last 2 days. Really wish they could of found the other one at the other store. Looks like I’m still in the market for one for myself. It’s a good problem to have

Black harvester sabots (buy direct) and 240 or 300 grain hornady 45 cal XTP mags and 100 grains of loose 777. All are easy to find and will kill anything within 150 yards. Why complicate life?

Powder and primers: I used were 100gr of 777 pellets and 777 primers in the past. The 777 was reliable and I would classify the accuracy as "OK", but I would consider it dirty . I have since switched to Blackhorn 209 and Winchester 209 primers. The Blackhorn 209 powder is better in every way. I won't be going back to 777 any time soon.

Bullets: I tried 2 kinds of powerbelts, I couldn't get them to group well out of my T/C Omega. I also tried the 200gr yellow tip bullets that came in a starter pack with my gun. they grouped ok, I just wanted a heavier bullet. What I have found that worked best was, the 300gr Hornady .45 cal XTP-Mag bullet in the back sabot. T/C use to package these and sell them, but I found it cheaper to buy a box of reloading bullets and Midway USA use to carry the sabots. I've taken 3 whitetail with this bullet and recovered all of them. 2 of them falling within sight and 1 a fairly easy track job in cattails and tall grass.

BH 209 (110 grains) behind the 290 Barnes (TEZ?) for me with a Winchester 209 primer to light it off. And it's a TC Omega. So far it has worked very well on Virginia whitetails. No issues on bullet performance on about a dozen deer, but no recoveries since all were pass throughs, even though several were high shoulder shots. I was shooting the same load to prepare for a Utah elk hunt in 2018 and was ringing steel at 180 with no trouble.

I have a second breech plug, but that's just a TC and I rotate them as I clean/shoot. Black powder and its substitutes are about all I have seen lately, but BH 209 hasn't been on the shelves anywhere. Buy 209's when/where you find them and scrounge for bullets too.

My starter rig was an older Knight and I shot two 777 pellets behind a 245 Powerbelt and the PB silver that I can't remember the weight on. They performed pretty well on broadside and quartering away chest shots inside of 100 yards. Many more headaches after a couple shots and at least twice as much time to clean than my Omega. My buddy dropped an elk in '14 with PB's in CO and it took a few hits. Elk maybe went 150 yards downhill and saved us some distance on pack out. I think he shoots something around 300 grains and loose 777.

Well I haven’t been in the muzzleloader game in over 10 years. But I stumbled on one of the clearance Walmart Optima V2‘s so it looks like the boy will be adding another season to deer season next year. So what is everyone shooting for powder and bullets today? I used to shoot Powerbeats and Jim Shockey had a BP powder substitute I used. Just going to try some find what I can to get to play with this thing when it warms up

thank you
+1 for BH 209 - great stuff!. For bullets, try the THOR 300 and 250 gr, full bore, copper. They're available at Muzzle-loaders.com right now. Matched with the BH209 you have a great combo for anything in N America. Also, the Federal B.O.R. 350gr should shoot really well out of that Optima.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back