POW Sitka Blacktail 2021 DIY

Got back to the world last night. I will start uploading photos and dailies of this hunt. Just gonna say this was an amazing trip and a piece of SEAK stays with you when you leave.
Already planning the return trip.
Looks like you were there hunting at the same time a friend and I were on the island fishing. Looking forward to your photos and story. It's an amazing place, I can't wait to return.

Day One I had to load up my pack, get a few odds and ends at the Black Bear Store, and then to the trailhead.
After a few misadventures, I made my camping spot.
IMG_2426.JPG
65 lbs, packed and ready. I took WAY too much food.
IMG_2438.JPG
I foundered around in the alder and Devils's Club for a while before I found a taped route going where I wanted to go. The old growth part wasn't bad, but it got steeper and more technical as I got higher. This will be part of the story later.
IMG_2441.JPG
Where I decided to camp. After I pitched my tent and made a MH dinner, I glassed deer across the valley. I didn't bring my spotter, so I couldn't tell heads.

@JLS
It goes downhill FAST from here, Jason.

I did not find bucks, so day four (Friday) I decided to go to my Plan B spot. As I was coming down just above the really steep part at the top of the old growth, the trail let go from underneath me. I fell/ rolled about 30 feet and ended up laying in a steep rocky stream bed. I dumped my pack and triaged myself. No apparent injuries. I found my trekking poles bent about where I was when I fell. I stripped off my shirt and realized I had contusions that needed to be dealt with. I was slow leaking blood in a couple spots and could see deeper than I wanted to into my arm. I cleaned up and did a redneck tape job and then I started back down. I still had to do the really vertical part and I was pretty rattled. I felt like I needed to get through the toughest bits before I went into shock.

Three hours later I was at SEARHC medical in Klawock getting a once over, glue job, tetanus shot, etc.

That effectively ended my hunt. I caught and released Pinks on Saturday.

My middle son, Stephen, arrived on the Sunday IFA. We spent the rest of the second week looking for Coho, but we were too early. I bet they are hitting them hard this week.

We found a nice Dolly and Sockeye spot and had a blast. IMG_2517.JPG
IMG_2520.JPG

Despite your best efforts, you thankfully didn't break the #1 rule... you didn't die. So good job there.

Glad you're alright!

Did you have fun up there before coming down?
I loved it.

Now I know I didn't see bucks because I was still too low. I should have gone higher on Friday, not down.

I hear November calling me back pretty hard.

The whole time we were fishing I was in scouting mode. I found some of last year's alder rubs.

Wow! Glad you are ok. Hope you can get back up there in a bit.

Spills with a loaded pack are no joke. Glad you’re okay. Been looking forward to this write up all summer, sorry it didn’t pan out. Glad you found some fish, and I’ll be looking forward to chapter 2.

I was there this past November from Nov 12-20. It was a much more difficult hunt than I thought it would be. All I can say about hunting in POW is make sure you have the best waterproof equipment you can afford because it will be tested every day. It's an amazing place, but honestly some of the thickest and meanest terrain I have hunted. I was part of a group of 9 and we killed 7 bucks. That being said we only saw 12 deer on this trip. PM me if you need any info on logistics or anything else about the hunt.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back